PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Code 0442 on my PT 2001 LTD, 41, 0000 miles.!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2005, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code 0442 on my PT 2001 LTD, 41, 0000 miles.!!!!!

Ok so we go on vacation, it was about 900 miles round trip.....blah blah blah...LOL and come back, a week later my 2001 PT Limited is showing the engine light on. The code came up 0442. I see this is an emissions issue UGH!! My PT only has 41,000 miles on it and I surely wasn't expecting this.

I read a posting that 99% of the time its the gas cap and so I took it off and put it back on. No luck, light still on. So I went and bought a factory Chrysler PT Cruiser gas cap. I have not turned on the car yet to see if the light is STILL on.

If it was the gas cap, how long before that light goes off, or should it go off instantly? Or perhaps do I need to reset something first?

If its NOT the easy fix with the gas cap and engine light does NOT go off, how much is this repair going to soak me?

Unbeleivable that I could have an emissions problem this early on and of course not under warranty, if so.

Also if the repair is very expensive, will driving it around for a bit, in the meanwhile cause problems? The car is running great otherwise.

Hope someone can help! [:I]

Old 05 Aug 2005, 09:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

The trouble light will not go out instantly. It takes a number of error free driving cycles (start car, drive, stop car) for the light to go out. Depending on your driving habits, it could take up to 2 weeks to disappear.
Old 06 Aug 2005, 08:41 am
Senior Cruiser

My dealer said (LOL) if the light isn't flashing don't worry.
I had a gas cap problem once. the car was hard to start.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 06 Aug 2005, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I can happily say now that the engine light is off, must have been the gas cap all along. An easy hands on cheap fix. Sure it won't always be like that. LOL Did what you suggested and disconnected the battery and no light or error codes come when starting it and upon reconnecting. So for now I can at least breathe a sigh of relief.....

Again, a big thanks for everyones help!