Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Premium Fuel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2005, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Premium Fuel

I know that I suppose to use premium gas on my future (3 weeks and counting), GT. But I read on the gas cap area that they recommend premium fuel. Will you make any damages if you use regular? Why I ask this? Because I am pretty sure that as soon as I get the vehicle from the dealer, and they always give you a full tank of gas, they probably will use regular. I could be wrong but even after I will tell them to use premium, if they do use regular, will problems will arise in the future? Will a tank of regular will be okay? Thanks all the comments.
Old 06 Aug 2005, 08:31 pm
Young Cruiser

I don't think it will hurt anything. If you are concerned, you can always add an octane boosting additive to your first tank.

Mikey
Old 07 Aug 2005, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

I have read on this forum that a tank of regular unleaded
every now and than won't cause any trouble.As a matter I talked
to a guy that has an GT and all he runs is regular unleaded.
He said he has had no trouble,but I don't think he's getting
the performance he should be getting.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 07 Aug 2005, 03:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I believe that most people who buy the GT do so for performance as this model comes with the High Output 220hp turbo engine. To get maximum performance from this engine (and the STAGE 1 turbo) you need to use premium gasoline. If you want to get buy with regular fuel then consider getting the "turbo lite" 180hp turbo.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 08:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Glad I read this. Was iritated at first that I would have to use premium('05 GT high output). My '96 Dakota 4cyl. had to have premium to keep from knocking like a coffe can full of marbles.
However, figuring out that a full tank of premium fuel(from QT...a "top tier" fuel as recommended by some manufacturers)is only costing 3 bucks more...no biggie.
However, in the Phoenix heat, I have noticed a tendency for my GT to still "ping" a bit. Oh well.....the fun factor is worth it.
Old 07 Aug 2005, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The PT's computer will try to cut back on boost and keep the engine from damaging itself on regular. If you must use regular, just be gentle with it. Don't "drive it like you stole it". If you can actually detect pinging, the computer isn't able to completely compensate for the lower octane fuel and you should move up in octane.

As I have said before on this forum, I have put mid-grade in my GT (by accident) and I could certainly tell a difference in performance. It almost felt like I was dragging an anchor going up steep hills. I have seen others post that they couldn't tell a difference but I certainly did.

If you drive very gently and primarily drive in lower elevation areas (at higher elevations, more boost is required to develop the same power) and on reasonably flat ground, you should be OK with regular and certainly with mid-grade. If you don't fit those characteristics, I would go the gas station and "kick it up a notch" (as Emeril Lagasse says).

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 05:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coolvanillagt

Glad I read this. Was iritated at first that I would have to use premium('05 GT high output). My '96 Dakota 4cyl. had to have premium to keep from knocking like a coffe can full of marbles.
However, figuring out that a full tank of premium fuel(from QT...a "top tier" fuel as recommended by some manufacturers)is only costing 3 bucks more...no biggie.
However, in the Phoenix heat, I have noticed a tendency for my GT to still "ping" a bit. Oh well.....the fun factor is worth it.
Coolvanilla, i wouldn't do this, honestly. I also live in phoenix and yes, my car even in stock form, would ping a little in high rpms on premium fuel. I definitely can't run regular now with the mods i have. As far as being stock though, the car's pcm will compensate for the lower octane and will retard timing really bad and you will lose almost all your performance and it will really ping badly. You will probably get a loud pop sound which is the engine predetonating and remember, anything happens to your engine while having any lower octane than premium, you are SOL. No warranty will cover you because you did not follow the mfr's instructions in the manual. [xx(]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 08 Aug 2005, 09:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT

I believe that most people who buy the GT do so for performance as this model comes with the High Output 220hp turbo engine. To get maximum performance from this engine (and the STAGE 1 turbo) you need to use premium gasoline. If you want to get buy with regular fuel then consider getting the "turbo lite" 180hp turbo.
Exactly. People stop being cheap. You brought a performance car, and now want to use cheap regular gas? To save, what. $2 per fill-up? Sell your car to someone who would really appreciate it and buy yourself a hybrid or a Metro and get the mileage you're willing to pay for.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 08 Aug 2005, 11:46 am
Cool Cruiser

I live in Chandler, used only Chevron 91 from the get go. Don't go cheap on a GT. Give it the best and let it fly.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 12:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I use premium in my N/A, and notice a difference, so I know the GT is gonna benefit a hell of a lot more from it. It's like using a different vescocity engine oil, you wouldn't do that would you? Like Sugamer said, 2 bucks a fill-up, is it that big of a deal? Definitely tell your dealer to use premium, and if you have to, cover the 2 dollars if they won't.