Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise Control not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2005, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise Control not working

[:I] The Chrysler Dealer installed a cruise control on my 2005 pt cruiser, it was a factory cruise. When the cruise is on, and you turn on the winshield wipers, the cruise turns off. The dealer has replaced the cruise piece by piece and checked the grounding and still can't find the problem. The have changed out the computer to the pt and reprogrammed the computer and it still has the same problem.
Old 08 Aug 2005, 02:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a wiring problem. The cruise control is designed to dis-engage if you tap the brake thereby sending a signal electricly to it. It must be wired into a common power source with the wiper control. Something from the wiper power is telling the cruise control that you are stepping on the brake and to dis-engage.

If you can hit the cruise reset and restore the cruise control, that would be a way to check my theory. If it turns completely off, then it not the brake signal but maybe in the switches.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

The chrysler dealer has rewired and checked the wiring so many time it is getting tiring. Also you turn the wipers on and it shuts the cruise off and you can reset it three times and after the third times of using the wipers and the cruise shuts down, it will not come on again until you turn the key off and start up again. I think that the computer won't let you turn it on after the third time until you turn the key off and reset the computer.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 11:14 am
Cool Cruiser

They may have checked the wiring, but the only thing these systems share is the location of the switches, the 'clockspring' and connector inside the steering column. Either they didn't connect everything properly, or the wiring is causing the problem. The only other thing is if the switches use the same wiring and multiplex (use different resistances) on the same circuit. Have them 'scope the switch connector while working the wipers. See if there are any voltage spikes....

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 19 Aug 2005, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spade44

What do they want from us?[)]
TROLL ALERT! [V]
Old 19 Aug 2005, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spade44

What do they want from us?[)]
TROLL ALERT! [V]

That's the 3rd time this idiot has thrown in his little "make no sence" remarks and each time under a different username.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[:I]Took the PT to Chrysler today and they tried a new grd wire, along with some other things and also the suggestion from about scopping for spikes and they can't find a solotion for the problem. The cruise still turns off when the wipers are turned on. Not much of a problem right now, but in month or two, it could be very frustrating. All suggestion appreciated.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by glfnjim

[:I]Took the PT to Chrysler today and they tried a new grd wire, along with some other things and also the suggestion from about scopping for spikes and they can't find a solotion for the problem. The cruise still turns off when the wipers are turned on. Not much of a problem right now, but in month or two, it could be very frustrating. All suggestion appreciated.
Tell the dealer that if they cannot fix it, you want a refund for the full price of the cruise control and the installation.

Then escalate to the Chrysler zone management (look in the owners manual for info on how to do that)

Would you accept the cruise control working as it does if it is =free=?

(Besides, you shouldn't be using it in the rain anyway )
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 20 Sep 2005, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

e-mail me... jankowb@hotmail.com I might be able to help, I work for DCX in parts restriction and diagnostics.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 01:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

The cruise control is in someway managed by the PCM. Because your PT didn't come from the factory with cruise, perhaps some programing is missing that's causing the problems??