Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

disconnecting battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2005, 07:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default disconnecting battery

I just did the champion double platinum plugs and the magnecor wires. Should I disconnect the battery to reset the computer and for how long? Just thinking on this the other day because I would guess it would spark different than original plugs.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 08:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gonz,
Disconnect the neg (-) terminal for at least 2 minutes to reset the computer. You may have to reprogram the clock and radio stations.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 12 Aug 2005, 09:53 am
Senior Cruiser

I always heard 10 min., but 2 is more than likely enough.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 13 Aug 2005, 05:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Dumb question,
You wont get shocked by this will you? Just take a crescent wrinch and undo the cable for 2 mins?

Old 13 Aug 2005, 06:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

No you won't get shocked by this if you are careful. You might see or hear a spark when you put it back on, but don't worry much about it

[^]
Old 14 Aug 2005, 10:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Just make sure it doesn't come in contact with the pos cable

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 14 Aug 2005, 11:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

While disconnecting the battery for a few minutes is fine it isn't really neccesary as the PCM automatically makes ajustments according to your driving style. I recently changed sparks plugs, lowered the gap in the new plugs to .040, added Magnecor ignition cables and a 2.5-inch Mopar/Borla dual exhaust system without ever disconnecting the battery as I had done previously. I experienced absolutely no issues or concerns. After driving a couple hundread miles my car's performance was the BEST it has ever been in 16K miles.

Just my two cents. [8]
Old 14 Aug 2005, 01:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why reset the ECU when changing plugs & wires? What would you do when adding a 50 shot of nitrous oxide?
You only need to disconnect the battery ( both pos & neg) when working on something electrical. I've taken out engines with out even touching the battery. The only reason you need to do it is for safety, not for the ECU to "relearn" A/F ratio's ect..

Old 15 Aug 2005, 09:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Espresso

Why reset the ECU when changing plugs & wires? What would you do when adding a 50 shot of nitrous oxide?
You only need to disconnect the battery ( both pos & neg) when working on something electrical. I've taken out engines with out even touching the battery. The only reason you need to do it is for safety, not for the ECU to "relearn" A/F ratio's ect..

Yeah well on plugs and wires, should be ok without unplugging the battery. For other things, yes....and not just electrical. On turbo cars, a quick reset will do the car much justice when for example your car is turbocharged and you get some bad gas and the car pulls timing because of the pinging and predetonation, the knock sensor will not simply correct itself anytime soon. You need to reset the pcm because the timing will stay in a retarding state and will kill your hp. Just shedding some light on the subject...thats all, not criticizing your knowledge by any means. [^]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 14 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Thumbs up Re: disconnecting battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IceMan View Post
Yeah well on plugs and wires, should be ok without unplugging the battery. For other things, yes....and not just electrical. On turbo cars, a quick reset will do the car much justice when for example your car is turbocharged and you get some bad gas and the car pulls timing because of the pinging and predetonation, the knock sensor will not simply correct itself anytime soon. You need to reset the pcm because the timing will stay in a retarding state and will kill your hp. Just shedding some light on the subject...thats all, not criticizing your knowledge by any means. [^]
DID THAT!... MAN! WHAT A CHANGE! ... really! the diference is great... my PT came from an auction and was pinging and I thought.... yes maybe they put some cheapo gas just to deliver it to me.. who knows... so I fill the tank with 91 octane gas and add a Octane gas aditive that up's the octane, drive it to my home and the pinging was gone... then read some post about this thing of disconecting the batery, did that and wow! the car its even quiet than the last time and HP gain is another thing... then! the millage per gallon its pure gain!

So yes it works and I suggest you do that!

Daniel