PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt replacement

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2005, 07:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing belt replacement

My 2003 is coming up on 80,000 miles. Has anyone out there in PT land changed their own timing belt? I think the manual recommends 100,000 miles, but I have heard of horror stories as little as 70,000. My car is acting alittle funny lately. It is stalling out when the air is on and I just give enough gas to produce movement.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to satellite66

The stalling I doubt has anything to do with the timing belt.
I just looked through a shop manual and it looks like it might be more work than the average guy should attempt. I did the t belt last year on my Mazda and it was a real chore. I don't know what your background is but in my youth I was a dealership mechanic so I am comfortable working on cars. Of course not being as slim or limber as I once was did not help either. If you attempt it good luck.

2003 Electric Blue 5spd
Many on the political left are so entranced by the beauty of their vision that they cannot see the ugly reality they are creating in the real world.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I haven't done one in a PT (mine is at only 13k), but have done many in the past. I can tell you that if you haven't done one before, this would not be a good one to start on. It's very tight and a DOHC is tougher than a SOHC. If you must do it due to lack of local pro talent or money, research it (factory manual) and have someone with experience lend a hand. If you get it all right it will be a great feeling. If you get any of it wrong, it could be a lot more money and a big bummer.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 13 Sep 2005, 03:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Stalling when trying to start out with AC on?

Sounds like the 'fast idle' circuit is not being told when the AC compressor is engaged.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 04 Oct 2005, 01:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Our 2001 Cruiser is coming up on 80K miles, so decided that a timing belt (and other pre-Winter prep being we're in Michigan) was due. I looked into doing it myself, but even with the special pully puller it's a super tight fit in there so had a professional mechanic friend do the job for us. GOOD CALL, as he said he's done many 2.4's in other chassis....but this engine in the PT was a PITA due to the lack of space. He had to remove the A/C drier among other things, so we said while you're in there check the water pump for play and replace it too if needed (there was some so he did
Bottom line here: I'm a decent DIY guy but am truly glad I passed on this one!

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 08 Nov 2007, 05:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Timing belt replacement

What did he charge to replace the belt, tensioner and water pump.
Old 21 May 2013, 02:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt replacement

Bought a 05' Touring Convert and I am doing the timing belt as a package(water pump and pulleys, along with cam shaft seals and crank seal). Yeah it is a tight fit and yeah you have to jack up the engine to hold it in place. The upper strut and lower strut and the rear engine mounts have to be removed to access the belt and other components around it.

I will get back to you with the results, just a note in order to access the water pump the two cam shaft sprockets have to be removed and the back belt cover. Do look at you tube to see information and get insight, good luck.
BTarb24 likes this.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the TB is a pain but normaly its either a good belt or a bad on there really isnt much inbetween if it stretchs and jumps time is bad if it eats off teeth its bad if it runs and goes its good

yets some have went at 70 some have went to like 140,000( it was a mom on here might be the record) anyway you shoudl be ok on the belt if its good changing it 30,000 early will not really gain you anything
Old 21 May 2013, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The op is back in 05.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Dec 2016, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_t_coyote View Post
Stalling when trying to start out with AC on?

Sounds like the 'fast idle' circuit is not being told when the AC compressor is engaged.
If your cooling fan is not running the a\c will build high pressure causing engine to stall.The relay or the fan could be bad.Make sure you replace the relay with the correct one.