Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Synthetic Oil for 05 Turbo Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2005, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Synthetic Oil for 05 Turbo Cruiser

What is the recommended brand and weight of synthetic oil for a new Turbo (not GT) Cruiser? Does it meet warranty requirements? I am looking for economical as well as practical recommendations.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 01:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Recommended brand? well, Chrysler always "recommends" you use their stuff, installed by their dealers, hehe...... Other than that the users manual lists the oil specifications needed for the car. These specs are well covered by buying any name-brand oils.

The weight of the oil is either 5w30 or 10w30 depending on the climate where the car is used. It doesn't matter if your using regular or synthetic oil.

The most popular synthetic oil seems to be Mobil One. Synthetic oil is supposed to give you about 2 mpg increase, and is supposed to hold up better when dealing with higher temps of a turbo-charged engine.

SRG

Old 08 Oct 2005, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Best bet is WalMart - get the Mobil1 in 5-quart jugs - just what the PT takes, and cheaper than 5 1-quarts.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Oct 2005, 08:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You can get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 at Costco for around $24.
Old 09 Oct 2005, 05:54 pm
Young Cruiser

A good option for the turbo engine that you might not be aware of is Mobil 1's 5W/40 grade. Originally marketed for heavy duty turbo-diesel engines as Mobil Delvac 1, they now also sell it as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. I've used the former both professionally and personally for over 10 years and now buy the T&S oil from Wal-Mart for my Cruiser. I know a lot of guys still change their oil every 3,000 miles, but I go to around 5,000 with the synthetic product. Mobil says that you can take Mobil 1 to 15,000(and that's the interval we use on our big trucks), but I want to keep the inside of my engine a little cleaner and am still willing to spend the extra money to do it. I'm certain that the oil won't break down, but I'm less comfortable with the longevity of the detergent additive package.
Remember that all the advice here is free and should be taken for what it's worth. So ultimately, take what you've learned here, and do what you're comfortable with. I hope that you enjoy your Cruiser as much as I have mine!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EJIII

A good option for the turbo engine that you might not be aware of is Mobil 1's 5W/40 grade. Originally marketed for heavy duty turbo-diesel engines as Mobil Delvac 1, they now also sell it as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV. I've used the former both professionally and personally for over 10 years and now buy the T&S oil from Wal-Mart for my Cruiser. I know a lot of guys still change their oil every 3,000 miles, but I go to around 5,000 with the synthetic product. Mobil says that you can take Mobil 1 to 15,000(and that's the interval we use on our big trucks), but I want to keep the inside of my engine a little cleaner and am still willing to spend the extra money to do it. I'm certain that the oil won't break down, but I'm less comfortable with the longevity of the detergent additive package.
Remember that all the advice here is free and should be taken for what it's worth. So ultimately, take what you've learned here, and do what you're comfortable with. I hope that you enjoy your Cruiser as much as I have mine!
I'm with you and 5,000 mile changes. I'm not worried about detergents or breakdown, but the acids & crud that the oil picks up - only way to get rid of that is to change the oil!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Oct 2005, 08:51 am
Young Cruiser

I agree. I have a 2004 Limited Edition Turbo with 54,000 miles. I use only Mobil1 5W30 SuperSynth with K&N filter (HP-2009) and change it every 5000 miles.
Synthetic oil is more important in a turbo because it can withstand the high heat that's generated and not break down thus providing better lubrication to the turbo itself.
Better mileage...I think so. I'm getting a little better than 29 mpg on the highway.