PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark Plug Wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2005, 01:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt
Default Spark Plug Wires

I have been hearing alot about people redoing their spark plug wires to performance models, what should i expect to pay? What are good brands to consider? What performance and fuel economy can i expect? And is it good for a newbie to be playing around with this stuff, or shoud i have an expert do it?
Old 14 Oct 2005, 09:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

MY OPINION:
There is NO performance benefit from wires on the PT. After around 20,000 miles on up, better wires will give back some performance you've lost from the crap stock wires going bad.
I think the best value are the Crane wires from RaceAndStreet for under $50.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Oct 2005, 02:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thegoldpt

I have been hearing alot about people redoing their spark plug wires to performance models, what should i expect to pay? What are good brands to consider? What performance and fuel economy can i expect? And is it good for a newbie to be playing around with this stuff, or shoud i have an expert do it?
If you are not experiencing misfires, (check the PCM codes with the 'turn the key on (not START) and off 3 times quickly and read the codes on the odometer- there are lists of error codes available on this forum)

Factory plugs and wires are good for about 25-30 thousand miles.
At which time replace them both (actually the factory plugs probably have more reliable life left than the wires, but it is such a Pain in the Tailpipe to get to the wires, you might as well do the plugs while you are in there.)

Detailed instructions, and various brand and gap recommendations, are on these forums too.

Remember:
Use the bungee-cord trick to hang the upper intake manifold, saves you a bunch of unbolting.

Put some clean rags into the lower intake manifold, as letting bits of dreck fall into them would be a Bad Thing.

Dielectric grease on the spark plug boots will make your life easier someday.

Anti-Seize on the plug threads will save you, or the next guy, a Bunch of money someday.

Welcome Aboard....
Perusal of this forum will be very educational.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 14 Oct 2005, 02:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Me nor my parents have any idea on how to do this stuff, and sence it looks as though i may have to take off the intake manifold to do the wires, i don't want to **** it up anymore than the poor thing already is with the noise it is making, plus i think i will get my life out of the stockers, then maybe i will get the new wires.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 11:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

thegoldpt: see my enty in the performance section on the slight miss I cured with new plugs & wires. Total cost less than $60.00!!!
HOOLIGAN
Old 15 Oct 2005, 12:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've had three PT's and have seen crappy factory wires go bad at around 12k. Others have, too. It's not a for sure they will go bad that soon but I'd replace them just the same.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Oct 2005, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thegoldpt

with the noise it is making
???? What kind of noise? [:I]
Old 01 Nov 2005, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to harrisonmml

worth every nickel, get magnacor wires and champion double platinum plugs, revel enterprises has both if you can't find them locally, less than $80 total, there are plenty of good web sites to show you how to do it, with step by step pictures etc, it is time consuming but not difficult. try ptdoiyourself on th web, mike the mechanic has lots of time saving tips.[8D]
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:04 am
Senior Cruiser

I really like my combo of MOPAR high performance wires and NGK Iridium plugs on my GT! So far about 12,000 miles on them and they perform like the day I installed them!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crane, Magnacor, and Taylor Cable Wires, are all high quality spark plug wires...you really can't prove that one brand is better than the other. The difference between the respective manufacturer's is in pricing. Shop some of the automotive supply houses on the Internet and your're bound to find a "deal" to your liking. Spark Plugs are also a matter of personal preference. I've stayed with Champion but run one heat range colder than stock. [:I]
02 Patriot Blue Ltd. Ed., BTG Performance Springs, H&R Struts & Shocks, Keystone dual scoop hood, Whipplecharger kit, PT Fueler, BTG Dual Cat/back Exhaust with trim flanges, JBA header, Airaid Intake System, English Burl dash kit and steering wheel, 18\" Moda wheels and Conti tires, Muth signal heated mirror kit, Kustom Kruzr license bracket and auto shift kit with ivory knob, Xenon flush mount rear spoiler, Color Matching Paint on bumpers, pillar posts, side mirrors and WeatherTech Windflectors.