Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad Brakes

I recently had an accident in my 03'PT. $3000+ damage to the right front and hood. The camery has scratches on the left side of his bumper, I think from my crushed headlight. The truck in front of him stopped short, camery barely made it, obviously- I didn't. I know the brakes suck in rain, I've had close calls. So I have been very careful w/ stopping distance and speed in rain or just wet roads. I literally became a sled. Managed to vear to the left. Unfortunately there was no where else to put it.
Mom has an 04'- she has issues w/ hydroplaining in storms.

Anyone else have these problems...
I love my Cruiser and would only trade it to get another. But am now "Gun shy". Help!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

What we have here is a tire issue not a Cruiser issue. Do you still have the crappy stock tires on?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do- But I got the best ones they offered. Still not good enough? What ones do you use?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 03:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sherri7391

I do- But I got the best ones they offered. Still not good enough? What ones do you use?
The factory badyears are, as you have found out, treacherous in the rain:
http://www.epinions.com/content_94534143620

I am very happy with Continentals:
http://www.epinions.com/content_122867584644

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 18 Oct 2005, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Did you go for 17"? That actually is worse in the rain/snow.....
Old 18 Oct 2005, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I believe I have the 17". I will definately look at the continentals.

I think this will definately help the rain situation. But...The brakes still scare me. They completely locked. Aren't they supposed to be anti-lock (ABS)- where they stop, start, stop, start, and so on til stopped. Granted this action only happens if the brake pedal is continuously pressed.

I spoke w/ one Chrysler Mechanic, he said their is a great deal of money to made during winter months due to similar situations. Of course, he did not increminate himself to elaborate- But I found this statement to be odd.

My goal here is only to fix the problem not "sue". I love my Cruiser and would not want anything else!!!

Thanks for your responses- I greatly appreciate them!
Old 18 Oct 2005, 06:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

...The brakes still scare me. They completely locked. Aren't they supposed to be anti-lock (ABS)- where they stop, start, stop, start, and so on til stopped.
Keep in mind that all the ABS can do is try to keep all 4 wheels turning at approximatly the same speed when you mash the brake pedal. If one or two wheels lock up, ABS will momentarily reduce brake pressure so the wheel will turn.
The ABS brakes have a limit: If all 4 wheels lock because all 4 tires are skidding at the same time, the ABS thinks everything is ok, as all 4 wheels are turning at the same speed (ok, not turning at the same speed), and stops pulseing the brakes.

With my current non-sucking tires, I am still able to get lock-up on glare-(expletive deleted)-Ice.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Would strongly recommend going to sear's and getting yourself a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires. There is a night and day difference with wet and dry handling and braking.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I think this will definately help the rain situation. But...The brakes still scare me. They completely locked. Aren't they supposed to be anti-lock (ABS)- where they stop, start, stop, start, and so on til stopped. Granted this action only happens if the brake pedal is continuously pressed.
I had/have ABS on both my PTs. On my '02 ABS only came on TWICE in 87,000 miles - during 2 snowstorms. I have about 10,000 miles on my '05 and ABS hasn't come on once. When ABS comes on, it makes a clattering noise as it locks & unlocks the brakes - very quickly. I would think if you skidded, it should've come on....[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2005, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to all whom took the time to help! We are now up to $4400 damage all to the rt front side.

Responses: There was no sound from the brakes when they locked- explaination makes a lot of sense on how the brakes work- Much Thanks!
Tires are a must- I will look into the Falkin(sp). I checked out the Continnentals- Very bad reviews. Careful w/ those.

Keep Cruising! Sherri