Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine swap

I was having a discussion with one of my friends about engine swaps and it got me thinking,
1: Is it possible to do an engine swap with a pt for a more powerfull enigen?
2: Which engines would fit?
3: How much would something like that cost?
4: Has any one here done it?
I really would like to know the answers to these questions, if you can help please do.....Thanx
Old 24 Oct 2005, 11:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

I have heard of many people dropping a V6 in the cruiser, but the weight to added performance ratio is low. And the cost will be turmendous, due to the fact you will need a completly new drive train to the rear wheels.....
Old 25 Oct 2005, 12:14 am
Young Cruiser

There's a poster on one of the PT clubs that is installing a 3.8 v6 and RWD in his PT. Why I don't know...I'd bet dollars to donuts that a stock GT will beat him. IF you want more power, why not find a wrecked SRT/4 and swap out the drivetrain and electronics? Add on a Stage 3 and go looking for Vettes and Vipers...you may not beat all of 'em, but you'll embarrass some of them and worry the others.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

how much power could your pt cruiser get with the srt4 parts and a stage 3, also i wasn't thinking a v6 those are heavy, what about a wrx sti engine would that work.... Because i heard that you can only get a pt to 300 hp, and in the long run i want a monster far above 300....i guess i am power hungry but if im wron about the 300 hp thing tell me, whats is the most hp on a ctuiser in thi forum? and what mods were neccessary to achieve it.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 07:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by INFERNODPPT

how much power could your pt cruiser get with the srt4 parts and a stage 3, also i wasn't thinking a v6 those are heavy, what about a wrx sti engine would that work.... Because i heard that you can only get a pt to 300 hp, and in the long run i want a monster far above 300....i guess i am power hungry but if im wron about the 300 hp thing tell me, whats is the most hp on a ctuiser in thi forum? and what mods were neccessary to achieve it.
im dreaming to one day do a mitsubishi 4g63T turbo awd swap from a 91 talon tsi completely built into a 2.5 liter with around 500 hp and 490 ft lbs of torque.

look into it, doesnt seem like it would be impossible to do the fwd swap with a 4g63T

Dan

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd
Old 26 Oct 2005, 05:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by INFERNODPPT

8&lt;snip&gt;8 wrx sti engine would that work 8&lt;snip&gt;8?
I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking of the challenges involved in stuffing a turboed/intercooled/boxer/awd drivetrain from Subaru (where they don't do ANYTHING in a standard way) into that little-bittie space in the front of a PT.

It would probably be not much more work or kilobucks to stay with Mopar and find a Hemi (or better yet a VIPER) drivetrain.

(but instead of doing that level of engine swap: Save your money and sanity by buying a new Porsche Cayenne... it'll be cheaper and more reliable.)

Otherwise, given sufficient $ you can get some decent power from the PT.

Remember the lesson of the Car&Driver tuner challenge a couple of years ago: even heavily modded (up to 90Kilobucks) pocket-rockets were dusted by a a 60Kilobuck factory Vette.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 26 Oct 2005, 06:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

People with N/A PT Cruisers have reported good results with the Hahn Turbo MOD: http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/hrc/about.htm
Old 26 Oct 2005, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess what you guys are hinting at is that it is not worth the money...well ok last question then what needs to be done to a pt to have it safely go ver 300 hp i have a na auto, also how much hp can it achieve once it is beefed up to handle more than 300
Old 27 Oct 2005, 01:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Also, opt out for a manual transmission then an auto, but if you dont want to do that then a torque converter upgrade would do wonders, my self i would stick with an I-4 and just beefing it up a bit.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 03:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

A stock N/A Cruiser can handle roughly 200hp (via light boosting turbo or 50hp shot of NOS)... after that you need to start looking into rods, pistons, valve springs, cams, pretty much an entire top and bottom engine rebuild. Once you get that done, you are going to have to do a new clutch and trans rebuild to handle the power. Bob Stockum and MX-5 are probably two of the biggest and baddest N/A engine builders. They've built N/A engines up to hold massive power, they'd be the two to talk to about 300HP+ engines.