Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shifter Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2005, 12:54 am
Young Cruiser

Default Shifter Installation

I've seen a website dedicated to installation instruction for the PT. I have not recently been able to find that particular site. Does anybody know which site I might be talking about? If not can you point me in the right direction for installation? I tried lifing off the entire console, I couldn't seem to get the console off, it seems as if my emergency brake would always get in the way. For the electrical socket, is there anything i have to disconnect before fully removing the panel? Thanks for the help.

Also, quick question... Is it possible to do some sort of clutch pedal adjustment, so my clutch can grab quicker with less pedal effort?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 01:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Let me direct you call to http://www.standardshift.com/ They might be able to answer your question on the clutch travel, as for the site i have no idea....
Old 26 Oct 2005, 02:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Here's a link with pictures on how to remove and install a Hurst Shifter:
http://ptcruiserworld.tenmagazines.c...p?aid=70&sid=8

Note: most remove the parking brake cable to get the clearance to remove the console. Removing one of the seats makes it easier too.

That being said, it is possible to change the shifter without totally removing the console or even removing the shifter bracket (I've done enough of them). Also, I would strongly suggest the you *DO NOT REMOVE* the shifter cables or clips from the shifter bracket as shown in the above link/article. It is not necessary and is a pain to remove and a bigger pain to get back in. Replacing the floor bushings (4 of them) with the Hurst supplied floor bushings for the shifter bracket can be done without disconnecting the cable or even consider leaving the stock floor bushings in there. You are not gaining much from changing them anyways. Other aftermarket shifters only include the short shifter.

Do consider replacing the stock cable/shifter bushings with "booger bushings". The stock bushings that snap onto the shifter (and transmission) have too much give in them (the mushy shift feel) and wear out quickly. So while you have everything apart, just replace the those bushings and enjoy even better, more solid shifting responses. They only cost about $20-25 shipped and you get replacement (solid polyurethane) bushings for the shifter and transmission.

Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Shifter Installation

Where is a good source for booger bearings?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 18 Feb 2008, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Shifter Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBorg View Post
Where is a good source for booger bearings?

Thanks,

Mike
There's a vendor on eBay that I bought mine from. You can also buy from Booger directly. Do a Google search.

And they're bushings, not 'bearings'. The stock ones are hollow, mushy rubber. The Boogers are solid, high durometer polyurethane. Cable shifters, like the PT Cruiser has, are mushy enough compared to rod actuated shifters. We don't need mushy rubber bushings to compound the issue.