Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strange noise from front of car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Strange noise from front of car

Hi guys n gals. I am not very "keen" when it comes to troubleshooting noises. Recently I have been hearing noises coming from the front of my cruiser. It only happens when I am turning the steering wheel when the car is on for the most part (and when I exit the vehicle I can hear a slight noise or clink).

As best I can describe it, it sounds when I am turning like a crkkkrk rk crk in random orders (hard to describe in txt fashion lol). It is very very noticeable when I am barely pulling out of the driveway (5-10 mph, turning steering wheel to get onto road), but can still be heard doing 25mph turns in parking lot.

I can also kinda feel it with my gas foot and my hands... wondering if it has something to do with steering column/mechanics or is it a pump thing somewhere? Something low on fluid? Checked powersteering fluid... it's good, all other fluids are good... so what's the deal?!

Anyone have this problem? Anyone a mechanic that knows what the heck I am hearing? I know it's hard from my description but anything to hint me as to what it could be and a solution would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 19 Nov 2005, 05:56 am
Regular Cruiser

I found this: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...rchTerms=noise

It seems really close to what I am experiencing with most of them -the squeeking... I get no squeeking or squeeling...

Going to try and take it to the dealer then and see what happens :/

Dealer down here isn't very keen on fixing things.
Last time I took my car in... they broke one of my windows on accident, replaced it of course, but left alot of glass under the seat and in the pocket on the door as well as on the carpeting in back seat... talk about being thorough :/

Hope I have better luck this time.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 09:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

does it sound almost like a clicking sound?

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 19 Nov 2005, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)on clicking sound from the steering column.....

TSB# 1900601A (Component: Steering: Column - Experiencing steering column click sound when the steering wheel is turned).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

There are clicking sounds but more like groups of them, as described in that forum thread link... it is most noticeable on a slow take off turn.

Hmmm well i'll see with the dealer about the tsb, that may be it. If not, well hell.[xx(]
Old 20 Nov 2005, 06:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same problem with my '04. It goes back in the shop next Monday. I already had to have the TSB for my steering column done a few months ago and now this. I've never had as many problems with a car as I've had with my PT. Makes me wonder if I should trade it in for something more reliable.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:06 am
Regular Cruiser

I know how you feel... after having the incident where my car would routinely overheat during summer (110 degrees usually) I was getting pissed heh. The air conditioner was pretty useless during summer, right when I was needing it, so if you can image driving with the windows down and 110 degree air blowing in your face all day... mmmmm hmmm :P

Then other problems that I had to fix on my own and still haven't even had the money to fix yet :/ (such as the A/C problem).
Old 29 Nov 2005, 11:17 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by xyster

Hi guys n gals. I am not very "keen" when it comes to troubleshooting noises. Recently I have been hearing noises coming from the front of my cruiser. It only happens when I am turning the steering wheel when the car is on for the most part (and when I exit the vehicle I can hear a slight noise or clink).

As best I can describe it, it sounds when I am turning like a crkkkrk rk crk in random orders (hard to describe in txt fashion lol). It is very very noticeable when I am barely pulling out of the driveway (5-10 mph, turning steering wheel to get onto road), but can still be heard doing 25mph turns in parking lot.

I can also kinda feel it with my gas foot and my hands... wondering if it has something to do with steering column/mechanics or is it a pump thing somewhere? Something low on fluid? Checked powersteering fluid... it's good, all other fluids are good... so what's the deal?!

Anyone have this problem? Anyone a mechanic that knows what the heck I am hearing? I know it's hard from my description but anything to hint me as to what it could be and a solution would be helpful.

Thanks

IF it sounds like a bunch of Crickets.. i had that drove me and Chrysler crazy trying to find it ...turned out it needed and after market belt.. I have the part number if you would like it..and will look it up for you if you need it

email me as im not on here much PTCRUISERGUYTO@YAHOO.CA
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got my car fixed. It was a leak in the Power Steering Cooler. They replaced the part and it's working fine. However, they also added/used automatic transmission oil on my car...that's what it said on the work order receipt. I'm not sure why they did this if it was the PS Cooler. Does anyone know?