Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Warranty Or Not???? BUSHINGS(LUBE)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2005, 11:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Warranty Or Not???? BUSHINGS(LUBE)

[:I] I recently took my 03' 31K miles (well kept) into my local dealer for some items i thought needed attention. I had a sqeak when going over bumps etc.. They changed the lower control arms(warranty) but had to grease(lube) the sway bar bushings(NOT WARRANTY) they said its normal maitence.??? huh?? $70 (1 hour to do)The sqeak is gone. Is this right? Chrylser says the same thing when I called/ ive owned many a car & this is new to me as far as required upkeep. I think they bandaged it to get by the 36Mile warranty and when it fails completley its on me! Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks MJB
Old 20 Nov 2005, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only picture I have is the rear of my PT, but it will have to do. The bar on the extreme right of the photo is my rear sway bar. It attaches to a link with a sealed bushing...just like the front bar on mine and yours. They come sealed from the factory so IT IS NOT ROUTINE maintenance. Now, they can fail and become dry and a hole has to be drilled into the bushing so grease can be forced into the bushing, then plugged up either permanently, or with a grease fitting. If that's where your noise was coming from, then that's probably what they had to do to fix it without changing the whole bushing and link. That kind of thing IS done on a routine basis to stop a squeaking noise.

P.S. Forget about the red arrow in the pic...someone wanted informatin about cutting the bump stop after using lowering springs and that's what this picture was used for.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

The front sway bar bushings can be lubed in 1 minute.
They can be replaced in under 1/2 hour, and the new bushings cost about $12.

I've replaced several for PT owners.

You can get the bushings at any auto parts store. Spicer and TRW make replacements, plus the Energy Suspension bushings are a huge upgrade.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mike,

Set me straight if I'm wrong, but couldn't sealed bushings be lubed by drilling a hole and putting in a grease fitting or am I talking old school here because that's what we used to do in the stations I worked at? If the ball joints and bushings that Chrysler uses are sealed, how do you lube them?

...and what about mjb457's question...what do you think the dealer did that "was routine maintenance" and cost him $70.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 06:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[:I] HI GUYS: Thanks for the assistace here. I truely trust my mechanic. I know he fixed the problems because it doesnt squeak. I did speak with he also and he is very dedicated to his profession. He & only he works on my PT whenn its in this dealer. I am not so sure on the shop writer though..... I think he padded the bill to cover warranty time & other discount coupons. Also Chrylser states its routine maintenance!1 I think not,,, its not routine .. warranty?/ What do you guys think?? Thanks,MJB
Old 21 Nov 2005, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the owners manual, is it listed in any of the maintainance schedules??? DC use that schedule as thier "BIBLE", IMHO!!! If it is NOT listed then how can they call it NORMAL MAINTAINANCE???
Old 22 Nov 2005, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[?]guys thanks for all your help. Chrysler was absoltely of no help. they stuck to their desision! I called 3x's with all your suggestions,thankyou. I finally called the dealer back & voiced my concern & they credited my account for $70.00 for my next visit. I think they know my concerns now. Its such a shame with the state of the US car manufacturers that DC has to be so stubborn! If I didnt like the style of this car Id be hard pressed to buy another Mopar! MJB [:I]
Old 23 Nov 2005, 11:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

couldn't sealed bushings be lubed by drilling a hole and putting in a grease fitting or am I talking old school here because that's what we used to do in the stations I worked at? If the ball joints and bushings that Chrysler uses are sealed, how do you lube them?

...and what about mjb457's question...what do you think the dealer did that "was routine maintenance" and cost him $70.
The sway bar bushings are only rubber/plastic cushion spacers on the sway bar end links. There is no way to grease them, because they do not have a hollow interior like a ball joint or tie rod end. All you can do is spray a light oil or similar chemical on the rubber bushing and metal end link. I use Re-Seal from ATP. It lubricates and swells old rubber parts.

Your photo of the rear end links is completely different than the front bushings.

Either way, lubing the front sway bar bushings is NOT NOW or EVER routine maintenance.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Mike,

Must have been the ball joints and tie-rod ends that we use to drill the holes and insert grease fittings.

I couldn't get a pic of the front bar (PT sits too low) and I had the rear shot on hand.

If the only thing they could do is spray them, then I guess the dealer charging mjb457 $70 was just to make up for some of the time they spent changing the lower control arms under his warranty and claiming it took an hour to spray the sway bar. They make no money on warranty claims.