Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Supercharger problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2005, 09:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Supercharger problems

Hello, I have a 2001 PT equipped with a Whipple supecharger. The current problem is that the supercharger started making a noise last week. When I took it to the local dealer they pretty much took one look and said "not our problem" and pointed me to the door. [:I]

What I need to know is if it is possible to service these units at all? Can I reasonably expect to pull the supercharger assembly and get it serviced or rebuilt?

As for a description of me, I have a good mechanical background and plently of tools to work with.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Micholetti,

Don't know what part of the USA you live in but suggest you call PT-Tuning. They have probably installed more Whipple's on PT-Cruisers than any other dealer on the West Coast. Ask for Zeb or Maier and run your symptoms by them. Since you are mechanically inclined and have tools, all you probably need is a parts list. Sounds like you may have a bearing issue (?).[8)]
02 Patriot Blue Ltd. Ed., BTG Performance Springs, H&R Struts & Shocks, Keystone dual scoop hood, Whipplecharger kit, PT Fueler, BTG Dual Cat/back Exhaust with trim flanges, JBA header, Airaid Intake System, English Burl dash kit and steering wheel, 18\" Moda wheels and Conti tires, Muth signal heated mirror kit, Kustom Kruzr license bracket and auto shift kit with ivory knob, Xenon flush mount rear spoiler, Color Matching Paint on bumpers, pillar posts, side mirrors and WeatherTech Windflectors.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 02:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like a bearing issue. From what I understand superchargers themselves hardly ever go bad. I have a "Roots-Type" Eaton on my Marauder and have no problem.
Front lowered 1.5 inches, rear lowered 2.5 inches
Kenwood in dash CD/Sirius/Six Disk Changer
First of a few mods

2004 Mercury Marauder (Supercharged)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigslim2
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/484421
Old 01 Dec 2005, 10:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info & help. At this point I have figured out the belt is off. Now as to why it decided to jump off that is another issue completely. I possted in the general forum area a question as to how the belt is removed. Anyone have a clue on this? If you push the various bits of piping around and turn just so you can see the bit of belt that should be on the pulley.

At this point I am not sure if there is just one belt for everything, or the supercharger belt is seperate. No warning lights came on so I am assuming it is seperate. Sure can't see anything from the top.

My PT has a lowering kit installed which complicates looking up from the bottom. I have been wondering if it may be possible to access via the wheel well opening, or perhaps via the headlight opening? Any ideas anyone?
Thanks again,
Ray
Old 01 Dec 2005, 03:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did some extinsive research before I bought my JR supercharger, and one common thing I found out about the whipple is that one of the belts kept coming off or would break completely. The now "newer" ones that are sold come with a different size belt from what I understand. I would definately call whipple industries and inquire about your belt problem. Seems like it is a common issue that was not fixed until the later supercharges were sold. Who knows, maybe they will even send you a free belt.

[8)]
Old 05 Dec 2005, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Micholetti,

For your awareness, Whipple now sells a "front plate upgrade kit" for their PT Cruiser Superchargers. Obviously, many owners complained about repeatedly "blowing belts" so Whipple had to correct an orginal design flaw. The upgrade kit sells for approximately $375, includes, new idler arm, pulleys, belt (Gates KO40250), motor mounts, etc. The blower belt now travels over two pulleys instead of one. Problem solved...no more chewed-up belts!!!

Changing a blown belt is no fun. You have to remove the front wheel, remove the fender liner and the head light to get at the supercharger belt. Patience worked real good for me. [8D]
02 Patriot Blue Ltd. Ed., BTG Performance Springs, H&R Struts & Shocks, Keystone dual scoop hood, Whipplecharger kit, PT Fueler, BTG Dual Cat/back Exhaust with trim flanges, JBA header, Airaid Intake System, English Burl dash kit and steering wheel, 18\" Moda wheels and Conti tires, Muth signal heated mirror kit, Kustom Kruzr license bracket and auto shift kit with ivory knob, Xenon flush mount rear spoiler, Color Matching Paint on bumpers, pillar posts, side mirrors and WeatherTech Windflectors.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTPink

Micholetti,

For your awareness, Whipple now sells a "front plate upgrade kit" for their PT Cruiser Superchargers. Obviously, many owners complained about repeatedly "blowing belts" so Whipple had to correct an orginal design flaw. The upgrade kit sells for approximately $375, includes, new idler arm, pulleys, belt (Gates KO40250), motor mounts, etc. The blower belt now travels over two pulleys instead of one. Problem solved...no more chewed-up belts!!!

Changing a blown belt is no fun. You have to remove the front wheel, remove the fender liner and the head light to get at the supercharger belt. Patience worked real good for me. [8D]
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew I read that someplace. That's exactly what I wanted to tell him.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Supercharger problems

I have recently purchased a pt with a Whipple supercharger on it. The car has no power. I can hear the charger working, but no power. When floored, it bogs down. Do any of yaw have any ideas or can at least point me in the right direction. I am thinking maybe it's the computer.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Superchargers and the one you have are pretty simple. If they turn they are working.

You can remove the drive belt and try manual movement of the drive pulley which should be easy. At that point it is probably not the SC that is your problem.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 Mar 2015, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbeachy View Post
I have recently purchased a pt with a Whipple supercharger on it. The car has no power. I can hear the charger working, but no power. When floored, it bogs down. Do any of yaw have any ideas or can at least point me in the right direction. I am thinking maybe it's the computer.
PM Nitro PT he has worked with some people with these an may be able to help you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com