Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rough idle when stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2005, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default rough idle when stopped

I own a 2004 pt cruiser touring turbo and when im at a complete stop the steering wheel and floor start to shake and it idols rough anybody else with this problem???
Old 21 Dec 2005, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Didn't always do it, right?
My bet is plugs/wires.
Gap Champion copper plugs plugs at 0.040, get Crane wires from RaceAndStreet.Com.
If it ends up not being the plugs/wires, you'd have needed them at a point anyway...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Dec 2005, 11:49 am
Young Cruiser

Welcome

I'm still dealing with this issue in our '03 PTGT.
I replaced the plugs & wires like Don suggested which made it a little bit better.
I then added some additional grounding, which helped marginally more.
There are other factors that I still need to assess since we bought the car used (balance shafts still intact & indexed?, motor mounts good and unmodified?, etc.), but since it's been bloody cold around here lately I'm making slow progress at determining how to improve it more.

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 21 Dec 2005, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

One more thought - if it's at a complete stop, and car is in gear, could it be transmission? Try putting it in park & see if idle smooths out.....
Old 18 Jan 2006, 04:12 pm
Young Cruiser

While this may or may not be your problem, it was mine..

Take a look at the passenger side motor mounts. As you are facing the engine there is one right on top over the strut. It looks like an aluminum arm with a round rubber bushing on the end that attaches to the engine. The other one to check is underneith. The bushing has a tendancy to fail which will allow the engine to move around a lot. One way to know for sure without even looking if it's really bad is if your car develops a "glunk". While coasting to a stop in gear lightly press on the gas pedal and then release. Do it again. If you hear a "glunk" or feel one through the floor then check out the mounts.

RG