Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GAS SMELL ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2005, 08:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default GAS SMELL ??????

[:I]Has anyone ever had afaint gas smell near the filler area? Any ideas? I had a factory locking cap... thought maybe it just wore out? I changed back to the factory cap which is NEW,,, any ideas or suggestions,,, I did schedule at dealer but was just looking for tips so I dont get bamboozeled! still underr factory warranty,, thanks MJB[?]
Old 20 Dec 2005, 11:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Only when I'm filling her up.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 03:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Although I didn't experience a gas smell, I did have something go wrong that ended up with me getting a new fuel tank and fuel filler neck. I couldn't fill the gas tank by leaving the pump latched on, it would stop every 1/2 gallon or so. Supposedly there was some air leak that caused this. They should be able to easily check if the hose is leaking, mine was and didn't set off the MIL lamp.

- AJ
Old 04 Jan 2006, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptTurbo528

When you fill your tank do you top it off? There is a item near the tank called a charcol purge canister. The charcol is supposed to keep the smell of the fuel down...now back to my question if you top your tank off or your overfill your tank you take the risk of gettin the raw fuel in the canister...i cant tell you exactly where it is located on the pt but there is one on your vehicle..maybe it has some fuel in it...good luck...Brian
goldline coil springs custom exhaust done by yours truly..k&n typhoon intake..tinted windows member of ptcruiserclub.org..adjusted wasetgate. E&G classic billet grille. 600w alpine amp,2-twelve alpine typeR subs,alpine headunit.xeon headlights,fog lights.apc carbon fiber taillights. royal purple oil. k&n oil filter,mopar bov conversion,BTG strut tower brace....
Old 24 Jan 2006, 06:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[:I]Ok I havent smelled the gas in along time until today..... I did wipe it down real good inside wheel well.& changed the gas cap too..no smell till today!!....... but my PT is garaged & this time I did smell it again,,,( I did close garage right away)do you guys think it may be lingering fumes? exhaust etc/// Im just trying to figure it out.. no leaks,,,State ispection scheduled... thanks for all and any suggestions.. MJB[8)]
Old 01 Feb 2006, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"lingering fumes" it could be that [:I]
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: GAS SMELL ??????

Do you see it leaking or just smell gas? You're pointing towards the fuel filler neck. There's a carbon filter for fuel emissions under the hood.