PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Fog lights won't turn off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2005, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog lights won't turn off

Our 2001 PT LE recently developed a problem where the fog lamps won't shut off. I don't have a manual, so I don't even know how they are switched on-off. At the headlamp switch I guess. I had to pull the fuse. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 09:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dcruzer,
Welcome!
There have been problems with the Multi-Function Switch (Headlight,fog light, turnsignal switch). Your problem is one of those that the switch needs to be replaced.
Do a search here for multi-function switch and you should get all the info you will need to buy and replace the switch yourself.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 22 Dec 2005, 01:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The fog lights are turned on by pulling out on the multifunction switch (the one that controls the lights and the turn signals). The fog lights are turned off but pushing in on the end of the multifunction switch. They SHOULD go to the off position any time the lights are turned off on the switch but if the switch breaks, they may stay on unless you manually push in on the switch OR they may stay on ALL the time until you replace the switch (or pull the fuse).

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 01:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

if you still have the warranty, its covered. they'll replace the mulitfunction switch for you. Same problem happened with mine
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 22 Dec 2005, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Why not just leave them on all the time? That's the cool thing to do.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

did you get the problem fixed ??
Old 12 Aug 2010, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Fog lights won't turn off

This just happened to me. Were switchin on and off randomly on way home, left them off, neighbor just told me they were on again.

Had the idea of taking the fuse out but someone had got there before me. Can't even see any wires tied together, so guess I'll just have to jump start it in the morning when the battery runs flat. Due to get through it's MOT in two days.

Will try a bit of WD40 in the switch and see if it makes any difference.

ps all new brake set, anti-roll bar and front suspension bushes all got changed this week. (
Old 12 Aug 2010, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just had the exact problem with my 01. As others stated its the multifunction switch. I found one on ebay for about $55 and replaced it myself in about 30 minutes.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have just delt with this problem and I found that it is a design problem. Replacing the assembly will just move the fault on in time for a while. The spring loaded switch contacts that turn on the fog lights are activated by a small plunger on the end of a leaver that is in turn, moved by a rod attached to the pull knob. The problem is wear on this mechanism.
You need to diassemble the swich, on a work bench, with good light. Start be removing the back contact side. The plate is held by tabs in slots and a Torx head screw. Take it apart carefully as the fog light contact is in a little slot holder and is spring loaded. Once this plate is out, set it aside and remove the headlight sliding contact, just lift it off and set it aside. The high beam contacts rotate and the axle goes through a hole in the contact plate. It probably fell out when the contact plate was lifted up. There is also a slding part that operates this contact. Take it out and set aside. Now if you operate the pull knob, you can see the end of the plunger it comes up through a hole in the next layer of the swich assembly. There is a Torx screw in the corner and another by the emergency flasher relay, remove these and lift out the next section, start at the flasher relay as this is a stiff socket. Once this inner contact plate is out, the end of the actuator stick is exposed and if you lift the small white leaver that operates the fog contact you can remove it from it's pivot point. Wash off the contact end with alcohol to remove grease and with a nail file remove a bit of the edge of the mushroom on the end of the plunger. Just enough to take off the rough edges. Rough up the face a bit as well. Mix up a bit of 5 minuet epoxy and dip the mushroom end in it. Get some under the cap and pull it out. I got about a 3 MM drop on the end. Put it in a clamp of some sort drop side down and leave it alone for a couple of hours. Generally this glue requires 24 hours to cure, but is quite hard after 2 hour. Next reassemble. Put a little molly grease on the stick, hook the repaired leaver back in its pivot and put the inner contact plate back. The flasher relay will need a little wiggling and replace the two screws. Drop in the high beams sliding part and put the turning contact axle into the hole in the round raised portion of the inner contact plate that guides the sliding part. Contacts up and to the right with the multifunction stalk to the right. Make sure that the "u" shaped fog contact is in it's guide. There is a slot on one side of the contact and a little hook to hold it at it's full extension and of course the spring. Turn the back contact plate over and gently slide it down over the plug prongs. Make sure the high beam contact axel can be seen in the hole in the back plate. Push it down so that the plate snaps into the assembly and replace the final screw. As I see it there is about 8 MM of contact movement in the fog swicth but the maker only used about 1. An extra 2 or 3 is within the movement restrictions of the contact. The repair worked for me. I hope it will last.

Silver
Old 09 Mar 2011, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Silver, welcome to the forum.

The multi-function switch has been a problems since day one. We have a HOW TO section on the top of the Tech & Performance section and in January of 2010 a How to: was placed in that section with detailed instructions on fixing the stalk with play by play and pictures to show anyone looking, how to repair their own multi-function switch.

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com