Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2009, 01:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to dsmturbo Send a message via Skype™ to dsmturbo
Default Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

MAdturtle, does it list proper fluid for a 2005 PT GT convertible? I guess from above it is the G288 tranny?
I'll have to go grab the service manual
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:38 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo View Post
MAdturtle, does it list proper fluid for a 2005 PT GT convertible? I guess from above it is the G288 tranny?
I'll have to go grab the service manual
I don't know. The info I got was at the dealer's parts counter, where I was shown the screen for my car.

A quick phone call to a dealer should get you the info. If it is the same as the part number I listed you can get an equivalent from Royal Purple and a couple of other brands.
Old 04 Oct 2010, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've beat this to death. The 2001 manual xmission NV-T350 needs chrysler MS-9417, and it's expensive. I think two quarts were around 38 bucks. The ONLY other fluid that has this spec is an Amsoil product MTF Syncromesh fluid. But I haven't used it yet. You will find hudreds of posts about this subject. I've spent hours dealing with this on numerous forums. Some have tried Penzoil Syncromesh fluid which is relatively cheap compared the the factory product. But subsequint posts reveal possible problems. Also mentioned was ATF+4 fluid The issue is the syncros and some fiber that was used. I do know this; my rubber fill plug although seemingly tight upon re-intallation after a fluid change was not a tight seal. The plug had shrunk, somewhat hardened and leaked. (Later I realized I could easily rotate it by hand when installed.) I would suggest strongly to anyone changing their fluids to do repeat checks under the car, the next day and the next week. If I hadn't caught the leak my transaxel would have gone dry and locked up. One thing is certain, if you use the Chrysler fluid you can't go wrong. Also fluid demands may change in sucessive model years. The cost of a replacement transaxel, especially on an older car, make dictate your fluid choice.

Last edited by valkyriemc; 04 Oct 2010 at 07:48 am.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturtle View Post
I just came from my Chrysler dealer who advised that ATF+4, as shown in the downloadable service manual on this site, was the wrong fluid for the T350 transmission. Said it would ruin the transmission.

My PT is a 2001.

Correct product per the chart on his computer is Mopar Manual Transaxle Lubricant # 04874465.

FYI.
I did not use the downloadable service manual .... I used the Chrysler Printed 2006 Chrysler PT Service Manual that has 5 or 6 volumes, it also says to use ATF+4 .... the same thing my Mazda 5sp F150 Manual Tranny rebuilder recommended to use so I did not find it odd. So some cluckup put the wrong info in there. Sure hope 11000 miles of spirited driving on the thin lube thats been leaking for the last 1000 miles didn't ruin the tranny. I hope the publisher has insurance!
Old 26 Mar 2011, 02:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

T-350 was Mopar transaxle lube up to '99, Then '00 transaxles switched to
ATF, they EVEN HAVE A STICKER ON TRANSAXLE THAT SAYS "ATF"

I just dump in ATF for Neon's T-350.
289k miles ...

Here's Vitor's t-350 w/ ATF, as you can see.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 04:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

So I guess that means I need to make a better choice of ATF to put in it.
What brand do you use?

I just visited the dealer and ordered a new plug because that is were it seems to be leaking down from. I know I did not get it to exactly 1/4" below the hole, I probably got it to 1/16th. But it did not leak for 10K miles. It really isn't a leak, more a drip, when parked I get about 2 or 3 drips in a 1hour or more period, it doesn't appear to be sprayed all under the car, so I don't think it is a massive drip/leak while driving.

I asked the service side at the dealer, they all said ATF+4. The parts counter shows ATF+4 also, but they do stock the NZ T350 oil and it is about $20 a quart. I run Royal Purple in my VW, but that is not ATF, would a Royal Purple or Amsoil product be better and make my manual tranny shift like I am used to with my VW's and not be cludgy like my F150?

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 26 Mar 2011, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

ATF+4 will work in your base 5spd T350.

Myself in all my Chrysler manual transmissions I use Amsoil MTF.

The reason being, it has the same viscosity characteristics but will hold up better to the shearing on the gear set. Chrysler in the 80's used to put ATF in the FWD transaxles, mostly for ease of carrying one fluid in the shop floor and to ease shifting in cold. But in 1998 they switched to 10W-30 oil because it held up better, they made no changes to the design.

In my Getrags I use the MTF and change it every 20Kmiles or so.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
Old 26 Mar 2011, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good advice, just getting ready to change mine in my G288, will be going with Amsoil MTF also.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like a better plan. I have looked at Amsoil, no local dealer for about 70 miles, may order online if I can get it during week, will ask at Base Auto Shop too, I have seen the flyers there and know there are local sellers. I also looked at Mobil 1 site, they have 6 Synth ATF's, not a one of them states they will work in place of ATF+4, searched for ATF+4 on mobil 1 site and read 4 of the 8 hits, they did not mention ATF+4. I went to my favorite Orielly's, they have Royal Purple that I use in my VW, but do not stock the ATF .... I like the Amsoil site, it even tells us the capacities for our car and the viscosity info unlike the other two, so I will try to go with them ... but have used Mobil1 and Royal Purple for years in my more performance oriented autos as a rule!

12 Regal Turbo
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 11 Apr 2011, 12:01 am
Cool Cruiser

UPDATE

Well today I got the PT on the rack, did the front brakes and changed the tranny oil. It was still dripping and dripped while I was doing the brakes before I changed the oil. I should have wiped the case and waffle section of the case below the plug .... still looked like it was the plug.

Well the results are, I drained the ATF+4 I had installed about 12000 miles ago, injected 2.5 and a little more quarts of Amsoil Multi Vehicle Synth ATF and then measured what I had drained, it was at least 2.5 quarts ... I spilled a little pouring into one container. I installed the new rubber plug and cleaned the casing of all wet stuff. Now to clean the driveway to see if it is still dripping, even though it did not seem to loose any all the while it was dripping. Maybe I filled it till it was coming out of the fill hole last time and it was too full.

BTW .... the For Sale sign came off when I measured the 2.5 quarts. Even though it looks like new lower control arm bushings and engine mounts are next on the list for this car.

12 Regal Turbo
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1