Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2006, 04:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Hey everyone,

I've got a 2001 Limited PT Cruiser, and I am approaching the 70k mile mark on the car, and I was wondering where the transmission fill plug is at? Does anyone know? I know the drain is on the bottom, but without pulling the car apart, I don’t think I can find the fill spot on top.

Has anyone changed their Manual Fluid? I know some people say its not really needed to change the manual fluid, however I know the suggested change period for my 944 turbo's transmission is around 25k miles, so I would assume the PT Cruiser would be in need of an transmission oil change by now as well.

If anyone has done this, what transmission fluid did you use? Did you use just the normal Mopar stuff? Or did you use synthetic oil like one from Mobil One, or Redline or some other brand?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06 Jan 2006, 12:03 am
Cool Cruiser

No one has changed their Manual transmission fluid?? [:I] Does anyone have a Haynes manual that they can look in quick for me at least, so I know where to start looking for the filler plug for the transmission?

Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 06 Jan 2006, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've used the Mobile 1 synthetic in another car and liked it. Haven't yet changed the fluid in my 5-speed PT.
Once you do find the filler plug, make sure that you can get it open BEFORE you drain the old stuff. Would not be good to drain the tranny and be unable to fill it again.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 06:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shil

I've used the Mobile 1 synthetic in another car and liked it. Haven't yet changed the fluid in my 5-speed PT.
Once you do find the filler plug, make sure that you can get it open BEFORE you drain the old stuff. Would not be good to drain the tranny and be unable to fill it again.
Yep, I always make sure I can open the fill before draining it. Thanks for the reminder though. That’s one of the reasons I want to know where about the fill plug is, so I can see how easy the job will be.

I will probably end up using Mobil 1 synthetic unless someone else knows of better oil. Does anyone know what weight the stock transmission fluid is?

Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 06 Jan 2006, 07:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

2003 manual says the fluid is ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid. Illustration shows drain and fill plugs above and below where the right axle goes into the transaxle, on the same plane. Fill is around 2 quarts. Both plugs are torqued to 29-35 ft. lbs.

ATF is fairly common in modern manual trannys.
Good Luck

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 29 Mar 2009, 05:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Resurrect an old thread as I have a question.

I've changed my engine oil many times, but today I made the idiotic mistake of taking out the Transmission oil drain plug by mistake. By the time I realised what I'd done it was too late and most of the fluid was drained.

I can't find any bolt to take out and fill above the axle on same side as the drain. There is a rubber plug high on the drivers side But I'm not sure if that is the fill location. If it is what is the correct the correct way to remove it.

Any Help appreciated.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT Cruiser was made with 2 different manual transaxles. I believe only the convertibles came with the G288 so the picture for the T350 shows where the drain and fills plugs are for you.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you for your quick reply.

I just found and read the downloadable service manual. Mine is the T350.

Is there a correct way to remove and replace the rubber fill plug?

I don't want to damage it.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to Haynes:

Use a socket or wrench (metal plug) or pliers or a screwdriver (rubber plug) to remove the plug. If oil begins to pour out, let it find it's own level (presuming the vehicle is relatively level).
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm
Young Cruiser

I just came from my Chrysler dealer who advised that ATF+4, as shown in the downloadable service manual on this site, was the wrong fluid for the T350 transmission. Said it would ruin the transmission.

My PT is a 2001.

Correct product per the chart on his computer is Mopar Manual Transaxle Lubricant # 04874465.

FYI.