PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Parking Brake Light upon Acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Parking Brake Light upon Acceleration

My 2003 GT Cruiser has developed an odd behavior on moderate acceleration from a stop or harder acceleration when rolling -- the parking brake light briefly illuminates. It gives the warning ding on the first occurance during any running period. The car has about 22K miles on it. It is running flawlessly and there are no symptoms of any problems. And ... of course I'm certain that the parking brake is not on or partly on. The warning light works properly if I pull the brake while moving and goes off properly when the brake is released.

Any thoughts on the cause?

Does the parking brake work on the rear wheels? I haven't looked yet.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

John,

Lots of people are experiencing the same thing and 99% of the time it turns out to be that your low in brake fluid in the reservoir. As your brakes wear out the fluid in the reservoir drops down to fill in the lines when your pads have to be closer to the rotors. Make sure you use the right kind of brake fluid when topping off.

Of course you might be the 1% that's having a different problem, but check that first.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 Jan 2006, 03:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you very much Crewzin. Somehow I've missed that after reading this forum for over 3 years!!!!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah diffinitly the 99% problem of low fluid, should be looked at and checked, may also be time for new brake pads and or rotors.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 06:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

My cruiser is for sale, so I will check the pads as I don't want to dump that problem on somebody. I've been thinking that it would be nice (for the buyer) if I replace the battery too, because at 3+ years old, it can't have too long to go.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 08:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Batteries are no big deal to get. That is something that will make the PT seem a better drive too, must never notice that difference until they drop in a new battery. The car feel more lively.

If you selling, you always want the vehicle to feel and drive its best regardless of how it actually is. So if you have worn pads, you will feel the grind a little more, which may make some think something is wrong besides the brakes needing new pads.

I had a bent axle on one of my old cars, didn't know it because I was too stupid, I thought it was just the brakes. It cost me 1200 after purchasing for 5900. Total sale 6100.