PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More plug/wire questions - sorry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2006, 03:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default More plug/wire questions - sorry

Hi,
My wife and I have a 2001 PT (non-turbo) and a 2003 GT (turbo). I am going to change the plugs and wires myself for the first time. Both are just over 30K miles. I am not a mechanic, but technically pretty competent.

I ordered NGK Iridium 2314 plugs for both cars (gap-.052) and 1 set of Magnacor 47231 wires for the GT and 1 set Magnacor 47428 for the non-turbo.

First, I have seen conflicting comments on the latest gap for the cars. Are both being gapped to 0.40 or just the turbo? Should I change the gap? Can I gap the iridium plugs?

The Magnacor 47231 have 90 degree boots for the plugs while the 47428 wires have straight boots. Yet the engines look the same. Is it possible the 47231 are wrong? The bix does not list the PT but this is the wire set listed on the magnacor website? Yet the 47428 box specifically says "non turbo PT"....

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 08:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Ted you might try this link for the install: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291473219
Old 13 Jul 2006, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The .040in gap is only for the Non-turbo PT. Chrysler put out a Tecnical Service Bulletin on it. I've never used the iridium plugs so can't help on that question.

My new set of wires also came with the 90 degree boot (for the coil end) whereas the OEM plugs were straight but they fit OK and work well.

You'll want to pick up Anti-seize lubricant for the plugs and Dielectric greese for the plug ends. Anti-seize on the threads of the plug to they won't corrode and be easy to take out next time, the greese on the plug ends so seal out moisture and help make a good contact on the coil and plug.

Gonz gave you the Imagestation link. Look it over carefully before you tackle the change. The biggest pain that I found on the 01 PT is the ERG pipe in back of the upper manifold. Two different size bolts that are hard to get at. Those five bolts that hold down the upper manifold (front of the engine) only tighten down to about 12ft lbs, don't overtighten...they will break off.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 12:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can use the stock gap with those plugs with great results. Check if you need same plug for both cars which dont seem right to me! I have used the NGK Iridiums with the stock gap for over 26,000 miles and love them. Much smoother but no better gas mileage really!! I got MOPAR high performance wires and they fit fine and I think same number fits all Cruisers.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 08:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TedT-CA

I ordered NGK Iridium 2314 plugs for both cars (gap-.052) and 1 set of Magnacor 47231 wires for the GT and 1 set Magnacor 47428 for the non-turbo.

First, I have seen conflicting comments on the latest gap for the cars. Are both being gapped to 0.40 or just the turbo? Should I change the gap? Can I gap the iridium plugs?
You can gap iridium plugs. Just needs a bit more care to avoid breaking the center electrode off. .040 gap is pretty much what both N/A and Turbo owners use for better idle and response.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TedT-CA

The Magnacor 47231 have 90 degree boots for the plugs while the 47428 wires have straight boots. Yet the engines look the same. Is it possible the 47231 are wrong? The bix does not list the PT but this is the wire set listed on the magnacor website? Yet the 47428 box specifically says "non turbo PT"....
Either set will work on either engine and could be considered interchangable. The 90° boots for the turbo were used so one can adjust the clearances to prevent rubbing and/or contacting hot areas. Only the left side of the turbo engine really has any "potential" issues. That being said, the stock sp wires and other aftermarket spark plug wire sets use straight boots. If you notice, Magnecor's R-100 10mm race wires have straight boots and are listed for both the N/A and Turbo engines.

Personally I would use sp wire separators if I was really worried about the sp wires contacting or rubbing on hot spots. A V-8 sp wire separator set comes cheap enough, even the cnc machined aluminum ones.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sci-Fi
You can gap iridium plugs. Just needs a bit more care to avoid breaking the center electrode off.
I used a block of wood. Hook The "arm" electrode on the edge of the wood and pull to widen gap, tap it on the block to close the gap.
First I've heard of different wires for turbo and N/A... Crane has one set for both.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles