Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
POWERAID Throttle Body Spacer - Works??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2006, 11:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default POWERAID Throttle Body Spacer - Works??

Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone has this throttle body spacer installed, or any throttle body spacer for that matter? I was wondering if anyone actually has seen the claims all the different companies give for these things helping out gas mileage, more HP and TQ? To me, the gas mileage is the only thing I'm worried about. I was hoping someone had tried this and knows first hand whether it works or not.

Thanks in advanced!
Matt
Old 11 Aug 2006, 11:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

All threads here and on other forums have been in agreement. Save Your Money and don't invest. No appreciable improvment with the installation of a Throttle Body Space.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 11 Aug 2006, 02:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Or the Tornado, but if you must I have one for sale ,CHEAP!!!

Gonz
Old 11 Aug 2006, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I wasn’t really impressed by their logic of how it would give the car a more "dense" air charge. That doesn’t really make any sense, as the air really wouldn’t move all that different, and it wouldn’t make it a more dense charge either.

I guess I save the $100 and put it towards a better intake. I just have an el cheapo intake pipe with a cheap K&N look-a-like filter on it. Any word on which intake is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking about the AirAid I believe it is, that works with the Ram-air hoods?

Thanks guys,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 11 Aug 2006, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you must have an intake then get the Airade. It does a pretty good job of keeping the hot engine air out of the intake. Other intakes suck hot air and you lose torque. It's so funny they are called a cold air intake. The Airade will work with the ram air hoods. That would be an excellent choice.[?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No shortcuts to saving money on gas
Experts say proper tire inflation best way to increase fuel mileage
By Talya Tibbon and Greg Hunter
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Liz and Rocky Rothwell, a retired couple from Orlando, Florida, thought they could save money on gas by dropping a little green pill called BioPerformance in their car's tank.

"When it goes in your gasoline, it disperses out. It's supposed to increase the mileage in your car from anywhere from 25 to 30 percent," Rocky Rothwell said.

The Rothwells had such high hopes for this product that they went to a company presentation and signed on as distributors in a multilevel marketing plan.

But the pill turned out to be a dud, according to Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott.
Abbott had the pills tested. He concluded that the pills didn't work and he found they were made mostly of naphthalene, the same stuff that used to go in mothballs.

Abbott shut down the Texas-based BioPerformance and is suing the company and its owners for allegedly running a scam that cost people such as the Rothwells thousands of dollars.

Responding to inquiries via a letter, an attorney for Gustavo Romero, one of BioPerformance's founders and owners, writes: "It is our expectation that additional scientific testing will answer the issue once and for all."

At a time when gas prices are near record highs, many people are searching for ways to make their gas money go a little bit further. And there are a number of products on the market that claim to stretch a few more miles out of a gallon of gas.

CNN teamed up with Popular Mechanics magazine and auto mechanics from the Universal Technical Institute in Houston, Texas, to run individual tests on a couple of other "gas-saving" products.

First, we determined the base line by running vehicles without any of these add-on products.
Mike Allen, an automotive guru and senior writer with Popular Mechanics, then installed a set of magnets that are supposed to align the molecules in the fuel so it burns more efficiently.

"This is one of the more elaborate fuel line magnets I've ever seen," Allen observed. "It's got three really powerful bar magnets, and it sort of straddles the fuel lines so the fuel goes through the middle."

But when we ran the engine with the magnet installed, the vehicle's gas mileage decreased by about 10 percent.
"We're theorizing that the magnetic field is so powerful it is interfering with the wiring in the fuel injectors," Allen said.

Energy Cel, the company that makes the magnets, said its product works and that it has been tested "... with positive results."

"We are dismayed that your mechanics did not have the proper training for placement and testing of our magnetic device," the company said. "We always welcome testing of our products by qualified, trained personnel that use the proper procedures. If tested correctly, our product works."

Next up was the Tornado, a device that turns air inside a car's air intake valve into a mini-tornado. The manufacturer -- Tornado Air Management Systems -- said it makes engines burn fuel more efficiently.

In the test, the Tornado reduced a Lincoln Navigator's fuel mileage by just under a mile per gallon, from 18.4 mpg without the device to 17.5 mpg with it installed.

But the manufacturer stands behind the Tornado: "We have more than 100,000 satisfied customers. Our product works."
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency did not test the same products that we did, but it has checked out more than 100 products that make similar gas-saving claims over the last 30 years and none has worked, according to EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson.

"It's a scam," Johnson said.
Experts said the best way to squeeze more miles per gallon out of a vehicle is to ensure that tires are inflated properly. They said this simple step can save as much as 10 percent on fuel mileage.
Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science...ion/index.html

Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

One product that I know works is the "FORCE GEL PACK". I have been running this product for over three years in my 03 GT turbo and there is an emmediate performance improvement! The wife also wanted to try it in her 2.5 L shadow and now is hooked. She tells me to check the gel pack because the power is dropping off, and she's right, so I replace it and she's happy.The gel pack is placed on the dirty side of the air filter so it treats the air going into the engine and lasts around a month.I had a friend with a Subaru turbo try it after he had spent alot on engine modifications and he couldn't beleive the performance improvement. The force gel pack is suppose to allow the use of lower octaine fuel, improve milage and improve performance. As we only have 91 octaine in California and I have a turbo that's why I tried it. As far as milage improvement there is a little, but you find you're sticking your foot to the pedal as fun factor kicks in. The performance of this product is fun!For those of you with the stock air box this is an easy install, you just open the top, lift the filter out, place the gel pack in, put the filter back in and replace the air box and latch and you are done and ready for a month of kick ass fun!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 04:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by littleblueGT

One product that I know works is the "FORCE GEL PACK". I have been running this product for over three years in my 03 GT turbo and there is an emmediate performance improvement! The wife also wanted to try it in her 2.5 L shadow and now is hooked. She tells me to check the gel pack because the power is dropping off, and she's right, so I replace it and she's happy.The gel pack is placed on the dirty side of the air filter so it treats the air going into the engine and lasts around a month.I had a friend with a Subaru turbo try it after he had spent alot on engine modifications and he couldn't beleive the performance improvement. The force gel pack is suppose to allow the use of lower octaine fuel, improve milage and improve performance. As we only have 91 octaine in California and I have a turbo that's why I tried it. As far as milage improvement there is a little, but you find you're sticking your foot to the pedal as fun factor kicks in. The performance of this product is fun!For those of you with the stock air box this is an easy install, you just open the top, lift the filter out, place the gel pack in, put the filter back in and replace the air box and latch and you are done and ready for a month of kick ass fun!
Please show before and after dyno numbers. Complete with dyno graphs. Sorry, butt dyno's don't count. I tried Yahoo search and Google for info but any site that mentioned the Force Gel Pack would not open up.

Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

http://www.gasmoney.org/SiteMap/sitemap.html. This is the site. I shared this info because my car has run so well using this product. My butt dino works just fine! Why pay for dino test when I'M happy with the results? I was sceptical at first until I tried it a few years ago, then I was hooked.I also found out how to recharge the gel packs which makes them even cheaper.The wife likes them as do I. When you feel the difference who cares to put a number to it. It is the cheapest performance improvement I have ever seen, and the fastest.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 03:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Your linky no workie. Sorry butt dyno's don't count and are very inaccurate. When I first bought my '01 PT brand new, after a little while, I installed an open intake. Man, my butt dyno said the intake made a great difference and I now had some more power and the new sound was great. I loved cruising around in my more powerful machine. A few months later the intake broke and I had to reinstall the factory airbox. Boy, was I surprised when I drove the PT and the power was the same as with the intake. My butt dyno had totally lied to my mind. Butt dyno's are worthless. Without cold, hard, real numbers (not talking manufacturer's embellished numbers) I'm afraid your gel pack falls into the Tornado, magnets, electric turbochargers, etc. category. I'm glad you think it works for you. [?]