PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
howling noise/fan motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2006, 08:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default howling noise/fan motor?

Ok, I already did a search...

My '03 Standard PT has developed a whine that seems to be coming from the fan motor/shroud area. It begins when I turn on the A/C and goes away when it's turned off. No other problems, temp gauge is normal.
Anybody had this experience?
Old 05 Sep 2006, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Noise is hard to pin-point. It travels and seems like it's one place and actually another. If it is the fan motor, it shouldn't come on when you first start the car in the morning when the engine is cool. Start it up and listen. Then turn on the air-conditioning. The fan comes on automatically when the air is turned on. Listen again when you do that. The whine could also be coming from the compressor.
Old 06 Sep 2006, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i was going to say compressor also let us know what you find out
Old 06 Sep 2006, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

I dont know but when it gets very hot both my 03 and 06 make a lot of noise right after they start up and when I shut them down. It seems like it is comming from the fan area and it sounds like they are realy spinning fast. A pretty high pitch noise is what I hear. After the summer season my 03 behaved normal. The 06 was just bought so it has seen nothing but summer service and it is quieter inside the cabin but sounds close to what my 03 did when you open the windows.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is the fan on when both cars are making the noise ??
Old 12 Sep 2006, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any better clue with the hood open?
Belt to A/C? [:I]
try letting car just sit & idle without A/C on & wait for engine fan to come on - then you can separate engine fan from A/C-related.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Sep 2006, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know if you have found anything out ??
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have you checked any T.S.B.'s regarding the power-steering pulley being pressed on to far at the factory. I had a bad high-pitched noise that was bad on start-up and quieted down a bit after warming up. I changed both belts and the idler pulley but noise came back in minutes. Had dealership pull the pulley back to where it should be and now I have no noise. I'll get the T.S.B # next week and post it for you.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 07:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Deks PT

Have you checked any T.S.B.'s regarding the power-steering pulley being pressed on to far at the factory. I had a bad high-pitched noise that was bad on start-up and quieted down a bit after warming up. I changed both belts and the idler pulley but noise came back in minutes. Had dealership pull the pulley back to where it should be and now I have no noise. I'll get the T.S.B # next week and post it for you.
Yeah, I'd be interested in that TSB. A lot of us SRT-4 people have a chirping sound when the car is first started up. Mine goes away after about a minute and when summer started the noise went away. Interested to see if the noise comes back when it gets colder outside.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic