Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
whining noise when acceleration???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2006, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default whining noise when acceleration???

anybody has this experience? everytime step on the accelerator pedal the engine has some sort of whining noise to it? cud it be an indicator of the auto trans mission problem? its get slightly louder at high speeds.

mine has 70k miles on the engine 2001 baseline model.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sure its not the belt ?? is it when its wet ?? or all the time ??
Old 20 Nov 2006, 01:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Could be the power steering pump? Have you checked the fluid level?
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ruzz1

anybody has this experience? everytime step on the accelerator pedal the engine has some sort of whining noise to it? cud it be an indicator of the auto trans mission problem? its get slightly louder at high speeds.

mine has 70k miles on the engine 2001 baseline model.
OK:
0- Is the whine coming from your audio system (turn off the radio...) If so: your alternator is getting old.

1- In driveway, hood open, transmission in Park, Parking Brake Set.
== have a helper start the car and listen for the whine as they rev the engine== is the whine heard? Where is it coming from?
then have them crank the steering wheel lock-to-lock (all the way left and right) Listen to the belt squeal (a little squeal at full lock is normal, as the power steering comes up against the mechanical limits of the steering system.) If it squeals continuously it is a belt problem.

If the problem ain't there in neutral, it =might= be a transmission problem.

2- on an empty straight road:
accelerate until you hear the whine, then shift to Neutral and back off the gas. Do you still hear the whine? Could be wheel bearings...

3- Automatic Transmission? Maybe.
Get it to a mechanic you trust.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 21 Nov 2006, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

all great points fritz !!
Old 26 Apr 2007, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to wvbigdog
Default Re: whining noise when acceleration???

I had the same noise coming from my 2001 and about a week later the transmission failed on the Greenway during rush hour. After a 2 hour wait for the tow to get there and take the Cruiser to the local Dodge shop they told me the transmission was shot and a replacement was $3200. to $3400. for a new one. I swear it sounds like a torque converter whine and it will move for short distances with no problem...at least until the tranny gets hot. The car only has 49,000 on it but at this point it's just sitting while I decide it's future. The service manager said it's a weak link and not even close to the first time he's had that problem come thru the door. I'm still not convinced it needs a whole tranny so I'll probably have it checked out by a transmission shop before I decide what I'm going to do with it.

WvBigDog
2001 Basic Mdl. PT Cruiser
Charles Town, WV
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbigdog View Post

I had the same noise coming from my 2001 and about a week later the transmission failed on the Greenway during rush hour. After a 2 hour wait for the tow to get there and take the Cruiser to the local Dodge shop they told me the transmission was shot and a replacement was $3200. to $3400. for a new one. I swear it sounds like a torque converter whine and it will move for short distances with no problem...at least until the tranny gets hot. The car only has 49,000 on it but at this point it's just sitting while I decide it's future. The service manager said it's a weak link and not even close to the first time he's had that problem come thru the door. I'm still not convinced it needs a whole tranny so I'll probably have it checked out by a transmission shop before I decide what I'm going to do with it.
This is NOT an unusual problem for these cars. I had the same thing happen with my 2002, slowed down and stopped. That is why I have a 5 year, 50K extended warranty on all of my cars. It had 45+K when it was rebuilt and it just didn't feel right and I traded it in for my 2006.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2007, 01:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Chrysler PT Cruiser Transmissions (both) = Pile of poopie
Old 29 Apr 2007, 07:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi wvbigdog
Had same problem on my Woody Turbo PT "Sh.." with inly 40K
Dealer said Tranny gone and a recinditioned one will cost $3600.
I am a classic car buff and have restored several cars so I have learnt to first hunt araound
I called Chrysler to see if they are prepared to help despite expired warranty - verry addamend NO
I checked with my wholesale supplier and could get a BRAND NEW Tranny for $1500.oo (not installed of course)
I then talked to a local Tranny Shop and he just lauched at the Dealers quote - he said he regularly gets these PTs in for Tranny problems and the problem is that the oil filter in the tranny is blocked and the torqueconvertor doesent get any oil pressure built up
Fixed if for $450.00 -
Can only advise all people to rather go to a renowned Tranny shop than to a dealer - they rip you off
Never again will I buy a Chrysler product - only Japsies.
Old 09 Nov 2007, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep have 2002 cruiser,no problems then a whining noise,next day started slipping.Thinking of doing the filter change and seeing if that helps.Would that be a waste of time? 2.4 auto