Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Wheel Bearing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2007, 08:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Front Wheel Bearing??

[8)][xx(][8)][:I]Ok cars have certainly changed,,,, My PT '03 [xx(][xx(]was recently in for State safty inspection(passed) but mechanic noted that there was some play in the right front wheel bearing? Does not make any noise or car doesnt pull or drift(tires wearing fine,,, anyway they say $330.00 with labor plus an allignment $89.00 huh??again not noisey but he says when it goes it goes quick?? Please advise if anybody else has had a similar problem...44,000 miles..Thanks MJB[xx(]
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i havnt had the problem i would have someone else take a look !!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The late C&D columnist Warren Weith put forth the theory that in states where mechanics do the inspection, they will always find something.

Basically it is because the state mandated inspection fee is too low to really make any money, it is only lucrative because it brings in business.

Weith's recommendation was to always give them something, so they don't have to go looking for something more expensive. He would go so far as to put in a burned out lightbulb before taking his car for inspection.

So maybe your wheel bearing really was in need of attention, and better you got it done now rather than having it seize up on you at highway speed 300 miles from home on a dark and stormy night.

Or maybe it would have been fine if you had asked for 'oil change, rotate the tires, and state inspection'?

Was this your regular mechanic?
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 12 Mar 2009, 03:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Post Re: Front Wheel Bearing??

Hi Fritz,

Just FYI I used to work for a major wheel brg. manufacturer and you would be amazed at how much abuse a wheel bearing will take. I NEVER saw one of the Honda, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Ford, Mazda, Nissan durability test bearings come in seized....I saw what looked and sounded like a "box-of-rocks" and more rust, dirt, metal flake and garbage than you can imagine.

Generally wheel bearings by design could never sieze up, even without grease they won't do it. Belived me I've seen the worst. You can drive on a noisy bearing for easily 20 or 30k miles. It will progressively get worse and louder but they are pretty safe.

See my post about the wheel bearing poll here if you want more info on bearings:Poll: Wheel Bearing Replacement

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find