Advertisements
2006 non turbo spark plug change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2007, 01:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 non turbo spark plug change

I followed the sticky post on changing plugs, a couple of questions:
(I have a 2006 non-turbo)

1. Is the modesty cover missing on 2006 non-turbo's?
I have viewed a couple of pictures of 2006 engines, along with mine,
and none had the modesty covers.

2. Is the EGR tube/valve built into the throttle body on 2006 engines? On my intake the port where the EGR tube would connect to is plugged internally, with only one female thread that is also plugged with a brass fitting. The car was a rental previously, so I am pretty sure nothing has been changed from the factory.

Thank you
Old 01 Feb 2007, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure about the modesty cover on the 06 but Chrysler stopped putting them on the non-turbo models around 2003 as a cost savings measure along with other deleted items like the rear cargo shelf, rear cargo netting, passenger side door lock and a few other items.

As far as the EGR tube in the back of the upper manifold, YES that was taken off and the hole plugged, again, about the 2003 model. I guess Chrysler didn't want to make a new upper manifold so they just plugged the hole. They took care of the EGR plumbing in some other way rather than have that tube. It is probably the hardest part of changing plugs in the non-turbo, so consider yourself lucky not to have it.
Old 01 Feb 2007, 04:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Engine Modesty cover was dropped in Feb. 2002 and the EGR tube was gone on the 2003 models.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 01 Feb 2007, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The modesty cover can still be bought for the '06. I transfered mine from my '02, also the 3 studs that holds the cover on. It finishes the underhood, IMHO!!!
Old 02 Feb 2007, 06:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much guys.
Crewzin, thats what I was thinking as I changed the plugs!
I kept thinking "this has to be harder".
Old 02 Feb 2007, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Samson,

Hard to believe you have the mileage on an 06 that you needed plugs. Guess you do a lot of driving. Hopefully, along with changing plugs you also got rid of the crappy wires that come out of the factory. Dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plugs, the correct torque on the bolts and your ready to go.
Old 02 Feb 2007, 11:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had to change mine on my '06 after 500 miles, it had a slight miss at idle. Also got MOPAR High Preformance wires at the same time. Fixed the miss!!1
Old 04 Feb 2007, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN
As far as the EGR tube in the back of the upper manifold, YES that was taken off and the hole plugged, again, about the 2003 model. I guess Chrysler didn't want to make a new upper manifold so they just plugged the hole. They took care of the EGR plumbing in some other way rather than have that tube. It is probably the hardest part of changing plugs in the non-turbo, so consider yourself lucky not to have it.
Yup. I cursed at whoever designed that to have 2 different sized bolts holding the EGR tube on when I did plugs on my '02 ....
A real snap on my turbo, but I do need 2 universals.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Feb 2007, 02:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

The modesty cover can still be bought for the '06. I transfered mine from my '02, also the 3 studs that holds the cover on. It finishes the underhood, IMHO!!!
Ole Buddy, I think we may have to agree to disagree here. I think the 'modesty cover' is one of the dumbest features of modern cars.

Apparently Detroit, and Tokyo, and Stuttgart, have determined that modern engines are too complicated to be pretty, so all that wire and tubing that make modern engines modern, is covered by a stylish hunk of plastic.

This despite the fact that the engine is already shielded from display by a locked steel cover.

And just whose Modesty is being protected? Everything EXCEPT the modesty shield has a job to do, is there for a reason, and has no call to be embarrassed for looking 'complicated'.

Anyone whose delicate nature would be disturbed by the complicated stuff probably should not look under the hood at all. There is nothing for them there.

Sorry about the rant.
I figure if you don't like looking at bare plumbing under the hood of your car, do whatever you want.

But I am offended by the automakers working so hard to hide the complex truth from us idiot consumers.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 06 Feb 2007, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Samson,

Hard to believe you have the mileage on an 06 that you needed plugs. Guess you do a lot of driving. Hopefully, along with changing plugs you also got rid of the crappy wires that come out of the factory. Dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plugs, the correct torque on the bolts and your ready to go.
I didnt really need to change the plugs, I just wanted to see how the new fusion plugs worked. I installed Magnecor 10mm racing wires (they were only $15 more than what I wanted).