Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2007, 02:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Reliability

Everything I have read incidicates that PTs are pretty darn reliable. Can anyone confirm or deny and tell my your mileage?[8)]
Old 10 Feb 2007, 03:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Well, I am happy with mine at 21,000 miles. It has had a couple of minor issues such as a 5-speed minor gear change problem, and a faulty coolant sensor. My cousin at 30,000 just had to fork over a hefty sum to have her automatic tranny re bulit from the ground up. (Something to consider when transmission choice becomes an issue) Aside from that it's been a great car.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i have my second one and so does the wife have her second one awesome cars !![^]
Old 10 Feb 2007, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

got 32k on mine, need to do brakes instead of typing...
Only issue I had was an A/C hose blowing (covered).
Plenty of people here have lots more miles. Common problems are usually minor (multifunction switch, RKE) covered (P/S hoses, front end parts) or the biggie, the automatic trans.
There have been some big issues in a few cases, but overall they are darn reliable.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 10 Feb 2007, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm on just about every PT forum there is. I read about certain things on the PT that people keep having trouble with. Now, after saying that, there's over a million PT's on the road, so even if a couple hundred had a particular problem, the big picture says that the PT is still pretty darn reliable. Steering pump failures, engine fan burn outs, steering wheel noises, front end bushings and cheap ignition parts are a few of the more talked about problems.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just got my 07 Yellow PT with Signature Series Package. Its my wife's car and this will be her first car with an automatic. Although I have had a lot of cars with automatics. The dealer suggested I get the extended warranty, a 7 year 60K warrantly. I am wondering if it is worth the extra 1500 dollars? Any thoughts? The car's got a 3 year 36K warranty. And the PT's been a Consumer's Digest buy for 6 years.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 11:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully you'll get some others to chime in on weather it's worth the extra $1500. My $.02 is that if your planning on keeping your PT for a long time, it's probably worth the $$$. It will take a couple things to go wrong to make it worthwhile, but if the tranny goes, then it's worth it right there. The auto-trans is a weak link in the Chrysler line-up both in the mini-van and the PT. Mostly it's the guys who upgrade the Turbo's and push the PT to the limit who have problems, but there has been others who say they've done nothing and still had the trans go south. Peace of mind is what your buying.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 11:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Best of luck on you and your automatic... I would get the extended especially because the crapomatic is likely to go on you. Or, you could get lucky and have no problem with it at all.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All! I am scheduled to sign the papers for an 04 Limited Edition Platinum Series TurboLite with automatic transmission this Wednesday. I logged here on to ask the same questions as the original poster of this thread. Are they really reliable? This car was originally purchased locally and was traded to the dealer on a new PT Cruiser Convertible. The car has only 12500 miles and is super clean. It looks like it has never seen snow, ice and salt. The dealer is offering me an extended 5 yr/60,00 mile service warranty that covers most everything (except plugs, windshield, wipers, tire balence and the like) and $0 deductable. Cost $1595 + tax. I don't drive alot and will most likely keep the car for some time - especially if I purchase the service. My other car is a 02 MINI Cooper S with 6 speed manual transmission which I'll drive most of the summer. I drive in a "spirited" manner - yeah I tend to push it - and I have no mechanical skills. Looking at the previous replies it seems the service warranty may be a good investment?!? If anyone can give me some insights on the TurboLite and/or the service warranty I'd be very very appreciative! Thanks.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, PT Noir.
Service contracts are computed so that statistically, they make money on you.
My first PT I put 87,000 miles on. I replaced plugs & plug wires, had auto trans flushed, and never had a major problem. (minor problem was missing - telling me I needed plugs/wires). I only went back to the dealer at about 80,000 miles to replace all 4 brake rotors and pads - I supplied the parts - I would've done it myself, but it was too cold out.
For the Turbo Lite, I would STRONGLY recommend synthetic oil - like Mobil 1. I've only read of 1 turbo failure, and that person didn't use synthetic.
I'm like Crewzin - we've been on every PT Forum for years - and PTs are reliable.
The automatic is expensive if it dies, the best way to preserve it's life is to get the fluid flushed - say at 50,000 miles.
Only other major maintenance is timing belt replacement at about 100,000 miles.

Get ceramic brake pads (I got Raybestos - Rockauto.com) they last longer and NO DUST.
Plug wires - Cranes at RaceAndStreet.Com - much better than stock and last much longer.
Plugs - the Champions aren't bad, it's the wires that are.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles