Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Timing Belt Replacement Instructions

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2003, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Replacement Instructions

I'm approaching 100,000 miles on my 2001 Cruiser and want to replace the timing belt (just to be on the safe side). I've replaced the timing belt myself on every car I've owned over the last 30 years. However, I've read on several forums that this can be tricky on the Cruiser, due to space constraints. Does anybody have a copy of the replacement prodcedure that they could send me (email, fax, snail mail, etc)?

Thanks in advance! [^]
Old 08 Jun 2003, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PTFever,

I'm sitting here reading the Haynes manual on replacing the timing belt for the 2.4L models. There are two pages of instructions and 11 illustrations and a few cautions...and that's for the removal. The installation is another page and a couple more illustrations. Now SCI-Fi would kill me for suggesting this, but if you really want to do-it-yourself, Get ahold of the Haynes manual Number 25035 for about $20 or the service manual from the dealer for a lot more. Did you try www.ptdoityourself.net ? They might have instructions and photos for the timing belt. [:I]
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 09 Jun 2003, 01:17 am
Cool Cruiser

You know,
There are many CD-R copies of the OEM manual on E-bay for less than the cost of the Haynes manual.
They are the real Chrysler information.

I suggest buying a real one from Mopar, but some feel that $80 for a manual for a $20,000 car is too high.

You can get them here:
http://store.yahoo.com/wyckoff-chrys...uisfacse1.html

This is only the opinion of a master certified ASE career auto tech.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement Instructions

We have replaced the timing belt on our 2002 PT and it will start but will not idle. In looking at the diagrams you referenced, it shows that they are not completely straight across but off just 1 click for the 2.4 model. Is that correct or should they be lined up straight across? The photo is not clear in that manual.

Thanks for any help. This is our daughter's car and we need to have it up and running by this weekend when she heads back to college.

Thank you
Linda & Dwayne Smith
Old 29 Dec 2009, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dwayne,

You replied to a posting that's 6 1/2 years old. (June of 2003). From what I've heard, didn't do it myself, the gears aren't lined up exactly level before the belt is replaced and it does line up correctly once the belt is put on. Don't know if that will help.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 29 Dec 2009, 11:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just finished my timing belt and it did not line up exactly. I used the "mirror the belt" technique so it was exact to the original. Also, when I lined up the crankshaft prior to removal, it was off a little, It was the exhaust cam that was different, but I don't remember if it was above or below the reference notch on the intake cam.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

So does anyone have the instructions? I know this post is old, just thought I would ask for some help before I tear into the 01 I just bought. The guy I got it from said it had a cracked head.... Just wondering if it may just be the timing belt...

Never know!

Starting the tear down today after work, any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check in the PERFORMANCE section, there should be a number of helps there!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Nov 2013, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Check in the PERFORMANCE section, there should be a number of helps there!!
HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I can only offer up my views and opinions of my own experience after having gone through the P0016 error scenario and replacing cam and crank sensor and having to do the timing belt to pass emissions.

I did read that certain aftermarket belts will not allow the timing marks to line up exactly, with that in mind, when my friend and I were lining things up, we saw that they were indeed, not lining up. We went ahead with the installation of the belt and buttoned it all back together and went to start it up and it would not idle. I removed the inspection cover for the timing marks and when the crank was on its mark, could not see hide nor hair of the cam marks. Tear down again.

Scratching our heads we did the next best thing and lined up the marks, and checked them with a straight edge. We put a small vise clamp on to both gears so they wouldn't move when installing the belt and once the belt was on, we put clamps on each pulley to hold the belt in position while we looped it over the tensioner and released it.

The car started up right away and the MIL went out, no P0016 error..

Hope that helps.

P.S.-On the second teardown and reassembly, we did not attach an motor mounts (engine supported by jack) and we did not put on any of the accessory belts. We wanted to make sure it would start and not have to tear things down again. This was fine for start and idle, I would not recommend revving the engine or letting it idle for too long.
Pitcrust likes this.

Last edited by wongsol; 25 Nov 2013 at 11:14 am. Reason: added PS