PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My new Cruiser's making sounds.....Any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2007, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My new Cruiser's making sounds.....Any suggestions?

I just got a 2007 PT Cruiser brand-new. It's marine blue....very nice. I got it about 3 weeks ago and it has 1600 miles on it (drove to-and-from my soon to be new home in Virginia from Pgh) as well as other various drives. My issue is this: Whenever I cut the wheel to the left and turn and release the turn, I hear a sound coming from the front, like a vibration. It just started yesterday. I'm taking it to the dealer to have it looked at tomorrow but does anyone know what it might be? This doesn't happen when I cut-and-release the wheel from the right; just the left. Any input is helpful....thanks!
Old 10 Jun 2007, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My new Cruiser's making sounds.....Any suggestions?

I have no idea what could be causing the problem, but, WELCOME to the Forum. Please keep us updated as you find out the problem.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Jun 2007, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are known issues with older PT's and front end/steering noise and TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) to fix them. Hopefully your dealer will find the problem and you'll be on your way. Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I took my PT to the dealership.....one of the owners came out and took a drive with me.....we could hear the sounds but not as much as the days before.......so we took it back to their shop and they put it on the rack but found nothing wrong. Mechanics looked at it, even took the wheels off and told me everything was tight and good to go. The sounds have since disappeared.....sometimes I have been hearing a very faint sound while driving, but i'm not sure if it's the car or just me. The dealer told me if I have any further problems, to call them, and they'll send me to the proper dealer in Harrisonburg VA (where i'm moving to, from Pittsburgh). While at the dealer, the mechanic suggested that since it's a new car, it could just be new parts breaking-in. We'll see how it goes - they told me it's good to go to Virginia. This dealership is great and i'd recommend buying from them if anyone's in the market for service or sales (Golick Chrysler Jeep).

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
My hunch would be power steering - but that would be both directions...
The dealer does sound good - usually they let your car sit and tell you "they all do that" - that they looked is a good sign.
Could it be tire noise? If alignment were out? Like if you hit a pothole?
Hey, if it's going away...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jun 2007, 05:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all.....last night the sounds were occurring again, but I could actually feel a vibration in the wheel....plus it only occurred when it was POURING down rain. Any thoughts on this? Thanks - you've all been wonderful!
Old 14 Jun 2007, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have your tires balanced.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jun 2007, 07:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just went through the exact same problem and it took me 2 years and lots of visits to the dealer to get it fixed.It turned out to be bad strut bearings.
What the dealer kept telling me is that if they cannot see a problem then they cannot take it apart to fix it.You might have to keep taking it back ands complaining,Remember to get everything on paper,and eventually it will be repaired the right way,I ended up getting a full front end rebuild out of it at no cost even though my car was out of warranty.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. You might have thrown a weight from your wheel. Does the vibration stop if you go faster or slower?

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks so much.....but the sounds/vibrations have stopped for now. If anything occurs again i'll take it to the 5-star dealer here in Harrisonburg VA......i'm just kind of frazzled i'd be having issues at 2000 miles. If it continues to worsen hopefully I can take it back to Golick in Pittsburgh.....we'll see.

Also, the vibration doesn't occur at high-speed (on the hwy).....thanks for your advice again :-)

Last edited by pittsharrison; 18 Jun 2007 at 12:18 am. Reason: added something