Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error Code P0442 and P1684?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2007, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Code P0442 and P1684?????

I recently had my A/C compressor changed about 2 weeks ago, and took off my air box and put in a K&N type filter with an adapted pipe using ABS 90* and 45* ( looks still good painted up and save $$$)
Just today, I got a check engine light and found code P0442 - "EVAP Small System Leak Detected" and P1684 - "Driver 5 Line 4"

First, how serious are these. Never came across these types of error codes before on any of my other vehicles. Second, what is the Driver 5 Line 4 code meaning? Third, would this have anything to do with the work done on my car? I have a 2001 Basic manual 5 speed I bought used last summer and has 188K on it.

Please tell me its nothing to be very concerned about. I just lost $1000 on the A/C alone.
Crossing my fingers and hoping for a reply soon!!!!!!!!
Old 11 Jun 2007, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Code P0442 and P1684?????

I'm not sure where you got the info on the codes, But I looked up your P1684 and got....

1684: The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts.

Which is a "nothing" code, so don't worry about it.

Your other code (P0442) is:

442: A leak has been detected in the evaporative system!

So, I would go over everything you did and recheck and retighten everything you touched.

Clear the codes by taking off your negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

P0442 is a small leak in the evaporative emissions system. More than likely the gas cap is loose, not sealing properly or you may have a small leak in an emissions hose.Cheap attemtpt at a fix is to replace the gas cap and disconnect the battery to clear the code. If not then you will have to have it diagnosed
Old 22 Jun 2007, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I checked everything out but couldnt see any holes or loose connections, so I tightened the cap and disconnected the negative terminal. All codes disappeared, whew!

Thanks for your help.
Jeff

PS. I live in Ontario, any insight on Canadian only aftermarket businesses for car accessories, like decals, spoilers etc? Most I find are in the US and may/maynot ship to Canada.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

www.RaceandStreet.com has about everything you need and I'm pretty sure Maggie ships all over the world. Prices are good and customer service is outstanding.

StreamlineDesign.com - Specializing In Automotive Graphics also ships worldwide and has everything to do with designs, graphics, stick-ons and custom designed items.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Jun 2007 at 09:25 am.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know if the codes come back
Old 23 Jun 2007, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Clear the code, check the seal on your gas cap and that it tightens on correctly. Because it is a 442 (small leak) and setting a light after a repair was made you need to check any evap components in the vicinity of the repair. Check your purge solenoid to make sure the nipple(s) were not cracked during repair. Unless you really inspect the components and not just glance at them to see if they are there, it is a bitch to diag a 442. Being a former gm tech, I am not familiar with the chrysler product, but all obd2 vehicles work pretty much the same. I have seen numerous chevys with cracked purge solenoids that look normal setting 442s. If the code does not reset after clearing it, disregard my rambling and have a nice day.
Old 05 Jan 2010, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2001 pt crusier 2.4 l non-turbo starts fine but after 15 minutes or so of idle it starts to sputter and kick until it stalls then it either will not restart or it will re-start for a second then dies again. It seems like when it cools down a bit it 5-10 minutes it will re-start again and the same problem. I changed the plugs and wires to no avail. I have also changed the coil is there something else I am overlooking. I checked the codes there were none. We had it to the shop 2 times they claimed it was fixed both times. well it was for a very short time....(had the same trouble at the same shop before) told them it was the RKEM module (haunted Door Locks). they said they never heard of it....i bought one and installed it all was ok after...I think we need a new dealer.
any help would be great
Thanks Phil
Old 05 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't say where you are, but a lot of us have real cold - is it only until it reaches operating temperature?
Does it idle okay when it's running?
Try cleaning the idle air controller - spray carb cleaner on it.
There's a picture of where it is in this thread:
PT Cruiser stalling...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Jan 2010, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am in Eastern Canada (Newfoundland ) It idles fine for about 10-15 minutes. after start up before it starts to act up....Just about ready for a good ol fashion campfire. I cleaned that part. It is after warm up that it causes problems. Sometimes it idles fine forever .....until you press on the gas or remove it from park.