Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeak From Rear of Car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Squeak From Rear of Car

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and I had a quick question. My '03 Cruiser has developed a horribly frustrating squeak from the rear of the car. It started out intermittent but now is constant above 70mph. The timing of the squeak coincides with suspension movement, so I have thoroughly gone through all of the suspension components in the rear. Nothing appeared worn or damaged though.

My boyfriend mentioned that when the rear shocks went bad in his Quantum they squeaked despite not showing typical signs of shock failure. So, I figured after 63,000 miles (3,000 of which was spent towing a 1,500lb trailer) that the rear shocks might be up for replacement. I installed a new set of KYBs and after a test drive on the freeway the sound was initially gone.....only to return a short time later (on the same test drive). While I had the car up on jack stands I checked out the bump stops and noticed that they squeaked a little. I doubt that I would be able to hear that from inside the passenger compartment while driving at 70+mph....but maybe it would be possible.....

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated
http://www.funksoulkitty.org
Old 12 Jun 2007, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Squeak From Rear of Car

Kirsten,

Only thing I can suggest is to get some WD-40 or other type lubricant and spray everything that moves in the rear. To try and pin-point the exact location, try one side of the car first. Suspension parts, including where the springs seat are your most likely culprits.

Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Jun 2007 at 03:40 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Squeak From Rear of Car

Thanks for the input CREWZIN. I did try to grease up all the components down there but I don't believe I got where the springs seat. I will have to put her up on ramps tonight and take a look.
http://www.funksoulkitty.org