Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Synthetic Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2007, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Synthetic Oil

Do You guys think it's a good idea to run synthetic oil in these cruisers, mine is a 2.4 non turbo, or just stick with regular oil at every 3000 miles? And if you guys run synthetic what is a good brand you've found?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Synthetic Oil

I run synthetic oil in every car I have. If you run your cruiser in any kind of extreme conditions (hot or cold) it's a little extra protection. Most reports say you can gain and extra mile or two in gas mileage too. If money is tight, just stick to a dino brand and change every 3K miles as synthetic will run you an extra $20+ at each change.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 02:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

I too run synthetic oil in all my cars. My PT is the HO Turbo. I use Mobil1 oil and their oil filter. What's nice about the Mobil1 is that I double my oil change to every 6000 miles. GM suggests once a year for my Vette.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am an absolute "believer" in synthetic oil. I had a Dodge Spirit 4 cyl that at about 150,000 miles had a valve guide work loose. Mechanic had the head sitting on the bench, and withe the valver cover off, everything was all clean a shiny - I said "Wow, did you soak that in gunk? How'd you get it so clean" - the mechanic replied - "That's how it was"...
I used synthetic in that car since it was new.
I use Mobil 1 and change every 5,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I use Mobile1 fully synthetic, it is some great stuff!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Royal Purple. I spoil my car.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Royal Purple
Old 04 Nov 2010, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Synthetic Oil

Synthetics are the best oil you can run in an engine to date. Synthetics provide cooler running temps, cleaner emissions, and longer change intervals. Some as long as 1yr/25,000 miles. However Amsoil has a new line called the Amsoil(OE) Series and it is designed for warranty specs and 3000-5000mi oil change intervals for those who prefer it to an extended interval. Keep in mind you will want to have quality filtration for synthetics or any oils you use. If you choose a synthetic you will notice more power, better fuel economy, less friction and engine wear and tear. Try the Amsoil(OE) Series and if you want a longer change interval step-up to the Amsoil(XL) 7500mi series. Find out more about these oils and filtration at :
Beverly Synthetics - Home page
Old 04 Nov 2010, 07:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

I use castrol syntec oil and change it one time a year, which mean every 15000km, or 9000miles
Old 04 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I run SuperTech Fully Synthetic from Walmart for the life of the vehicle. I change it at 5,000 mile intervals. It runs great and rated up there with the other more expensive synthetics. It runs me $17.50 for 5 quarts.

The names are what drive up the price. Look it up on Google and you will see rave reviews about it.