PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

engine low on compression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2007, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation engine low on compression

my car had over heated a couple times and i think i may have stuck the rings a compression check showed 35psi which i know is about a 100psi of bare minimum compression could it be the valves and if this is a posibilty is there any chance the rings are fine what confussing me is it holds 35psi so would that point more towards the rings because there is no loss in compression? thanks for reading this
Old 27 Jun 2007, 05:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: engine low on compression

More than likely the head is warped. Aluminum heads on iron blocks don't take kindly to overheating. Depending on how bad the engine overheated the rings may still be good. A somewhat decent test is to squirt some oil in the cylinder and try the compression test again. If the compression comes up significantly then the rings are to blame. You could also have burned valves or cracked head due to overheating.Sounds like this is probably going to get expensive.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 07:38 am
Regular Cruiser

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a mechanic. But I always wondered why they put aluminum together with cast iron on an engine since the expansion and contraction rates are different.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 08:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Several reasons. Biggest is weight savings. Second is it allows higher compression due to faster heat transfer. Bet you would also be surprised to know that there is no gasket material as you know it in the head gasket. It's 3 sheets of metal with the top and bottom layer stamped with ribs around the openings and a little bit of silicone around those openings.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

check the head !!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: engine low on compression

hmm so maybe its a good time to do the mazaradi sp hed mod has any one ever done that on here ? doing the hed gasket was a ****ing nightmare i realllly dont wanna do it again im gonna do the oil trick today total frogot about that thanks for the tip this sucks i got 2 cars and a bike and non work lol ahhhh
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

they had a recall on the hed gaskets or just changed them i think does mls ring a bell with yall i think thats what they changed to because haveing problems with blown heds has anyone else had a lot of trouble iwth there cruiser i have killed a clutch thrown a rod blew a hed gasket killed a gear box blew up my cvs and my brakes fried them selves altho i drive like i stole it and its extesively modified cams chip turbo nitro clutch everytime it broke i got a new better part lol soryy off topic so what should i do rebuild or drop a sebring six in it?
Old 02 Jul 2007, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles on the engine? I suspect it's the head. If you're 75,000 miles or over, then I suggest you do the timing belt when you have the dead off.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles