PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New guy needs some tune up help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2007, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to MusiciansPT
Default New guy needs some tune up help

I've had my PT (natural aspiration) for a few years now, and I'm hardly a mechanic, but I was wondering if someone could give me some advise as to some easy or cheap (around $100) tunings that I could do to my PT to pump it up a little bit. I've heard rumors about high quality air filters being a good power boost and something about a regulator chip that can be bypassed, but other than that and obviously changing oil regularly, I dont know what else I could do.
Thanks for anything you can tell me,
Dan
Old 02 Jul 2007, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New guy needs some tune up help

K&N air filter is a good idea. If you have more than 15,000 miles, then I suggest replacing wires with better ones - I like Crane wires from www.RaceAndStreet.Com
You should to plugs at the same time - gap at 0.040 (Manual said 0.050, a later tech bulletin changed it to 0.040).
to do the wires:
Album: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS ON A PT CRUISER - SIMPLIFIED
If yours is an '03 or later, you don't have the vanity cover, and no EGR.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jul 2007, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
by the way, I have a 2002, with almost 100,000 miles on it.
I've been doing more research and some folks recommend removing the silencers. Does this actually boost horsepower, or does it do nothing more than make the engine sound louder?
I'm definately going to drop in the K&N filter and change spark plugs and wires, because frankly, my car probably needs it by now anyways. I'm also thinking about replacing the muffler with a better one that has less airflow restriction, would you recommend this? My guess is that it might give me a little more power. I can't say for sure though, as I've also read that some peoples theories say that increasing the exhaust flow in low powered engines can create dead spots in the powerband.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have to listen carefully to hear any difference with silencers in or out.
Intake & exhaust help a PT - I feel it helped both my PTs.
Before you buy an exhaust - go to a PT meet or club and hear it first.
Music to one person is noise to another.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jul 2007, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did you find that removing the silencers increased performance at all? I'm not even sure what a silencer is, but after this I'm crackin out the manual.
Old 02 Jul 2007, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh, and I have an automatic. As i bought my car used, I didn't have much choice, but are there conversion kits to make mine a stick shift?