PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2007, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

Hi all!

We have a 2001 PT cruiser which is experiencing an engine failure. When trying to accelerate from a stopped position the vehicle appeared sluggish and would jerk. We took it in to the dealer and they replaced the throttle position sensor.

The car still was not performing to my expectations but the engine light was off so I simply dealed with it. Well, a few months later the engine light is back on. This time, thanks to web sites like these, I was able to obtain the error code myself.

P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

Would replacing the MAP or IAT sensor solve this problem as I could manage that repair myself? If not, any suggestions are welcome as I want to be prepared when I take it back to the dealer.

Details:
2001 PT Cruiser Touring Edition
20k Miles
Automatic

Dennis
Old 17 Jul 2007, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

All,

I bit the bullet and took the car in to the dealer. It wound up that they had to again replace the throttle position sensor (TPS). Fortunately, it was still under warranty from the previous service a few months back. In addition to the sensor they claimed they cleaned gunk out of the throttle body. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? It sounds quite fishy to me. The grand total was approx $110.

At any rate, the engine light is off and the PT seems to be working fine again so we took it in for its emissions test.

It failed!!!

The personnel at the emissions facility said we should wait a few weeks after service has been performed to allow the car to settle. Does this sound right? I am now a bit skeptical about the work performed by the Chrylser dealer...

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 17 Jul 2007, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

Dennis,

Did they say why it failed. Sometimes the failed report tells you which part of the test is bad and you can go from there. When I lived in Maryland, I always ran a tank full of Chevron premium gas through whatever car that was about to go in for the emissions test. I seem to remember some kind of can of "Guaranteed Emissions Test Pass" that you can buy at Pep Boys or other auto store that you also throw into your gas tank to help clear out junk and help pass the test.