Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Foglights not working at all...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2007, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Foglights not working at all...

Some background: These were purchased and installed in the spring of 2003. My PT was one of those half-a$$ed cruisers that had the wiring for the lamps behind the black shields but not completed through to the fuse box or harness that attaches to the multi-function switch.

So, the harness and all necessary wirining that accompanied the foglights and multi-function switch were installed. The foglights functioned perfectly with Silver Star bulbs for 4 years. Early this spring, the multi-function switch became a bit touchy - either the foglights wouldn't turn off, or the would turn on with a bump of the switch.

I have checked the fuses, replaced the multi-function switch and checked the bulbs, too. I have no idea where else to look. Is there another fuse related to the foglights? They still won't turn on and the foglight indicator on the dash does NOT turn on either.

I used to post here under the alias PTRobert, but my account was dormant or something, and I couldn't reactivate it.

Thanks in advance to any that can offer advice.
Old 05 Jul 2007, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Foglights not working at all...

There a small part of the old multifunction switch that has to be transferred from old part to new part, did you do that? The #8 fuse is the only one for the fog lights unless you have an export model, then you also need fuse #21 which is under the hood. Seems to me, if the light on the dash doesn't come on, the whole procedure starts with the multifunction switch. Was it new when you bought the replacement? When you replaced it, did you make sure both wiring harnesses where put back securely? Just taking guesses here. Good luck in finding it.
Old 05 Jul 2007, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not an import, so no fuse under the hood. And the switch was new, from Wyckoff Chrysler, so I don't know what else I should consider. The only part I know that needed to be transferred was the big fuse for the blinkers/ flashers. I'll check the original switch again to see if I missed anything
Old 05 Jul 2007, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't had to replace mine on my 01 yet, but from what I've read on the forums I go to, there a small part on the OEM multifunction switch that has to be transferred to any new switch that's being put in as it doesn't come with that part.

Looking over some of the old posts, all I found out is that there's a small "relay" on the OEM multifunction switch that has to be swapped over to the new switch.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jul 2007 at 01:32 pm.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. That's what it's called. I'm automotive-challenged. Yes, I transferred the relay. Just wondering if something else could have gone bad. Another relay under the dash, which has wiring running to it, including a wire from the fuse for the foglights.

Or... maybe I shorted out the new multi-function switch out myself, since I forgot to disconnect the battery. But, the other functions all still work, so???

I'll keep trying to figure out what went wrong. Anyone have a scanned copy of the installation instructions? They're certainly easier than the tech-manual, which I have and is all greek to me.

I read another post where someone mentioned fuses under the hood. Would/ could that be the cause of this heartburn? Please forgive my automotive ignorance in advance. Thanks,

Last edited by RollerBob; 06 Jul 2007 at 08:31 pm.