PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got a periodic problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2007, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Got a periodic problem

Just bought used 2001 PT Cruiser in Apr. 86,000kms. Love it BUT
Have had problems starting it with no warning If it has sat for the day, First time jump started by BCAA. next day same thing, Dealer checked and cleaned posts, ran ok for about 2 weeks. Again dead in the parking lot. Dealer - gave me new battery. Ran good for about 3 weeks. Dead in the parking lot again this last Wed. Dealer sent me to new mechanic who could find nothing wrong but low battery again.

When it is working it is great. No sigh of any trouble. No trouble lights showing.

On at least two of the occasions, people have noticed that my fog lights were on. They had not been turned on by anyone. About a month ago I noticed another parked PT cruiser with its fog lights on (no need for fog lights being on that time either).
When I hook it up to another battery jumper cables often there is also an audible ticking sound: a small flashing light and jump back and forth reaction from dials when ignition is tried. , the small security light was flashing and on Wed the horn started to blow.
Only one person on Consumer Reports has noted an electrical problem but didn't elaborate.
Anyone been bothered by anything like this? did you solve it ?.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got a periodic problem

Did you buy it thru a dealer? If so, there should some warrenty. There have been a number of posts of the multifunction switch going bad. IF as you say the fog lights come on without you turning them on, I would think that is where you should start.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Jul 2007, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply. Will mention this to mechanic on Monday. He was doing a check with Chrysler to see if there are problems with my model but 'hadn't had a response from them Friday. so battery has been charged and I am mobile for the moment.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Fog lights on unattended PT's usually means that the multi-function switch has gone bad. The multi-function switch is the turn signal stalk assembly on the steering column.

Your fog lights, headlights, parking lights, and turn signals are controlled by this one switch. The part is about $70 at a Chrysler dealer and it's not to hard to replace. It sounds like your car still has a warrenty of some sort, I would to suggest to the mechanic to try that.

I've had 2 PT's that the switch was bad, both had fog lights come on when the switch was off.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

srg
Old 07 Jul 2007, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again . Boy what a great support this is!! Have printed out your replies and will take them in on Monday. This is another reason to love having a PT Cruiser. You get help when you need it.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Add another voice pointing at the multifunction switch. I'd bet the ranch on it.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got to be something draining the battery (I assume the alternator has been checked) like a short, or the fog lamp switch..if they have been found on.
-don't buy the part at the dealer at $70 bucks. You can find the OEM parts on numerous Cruiser parts sites or eBay! I did! And the dealer installed for me.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wyckoff Chrysler will give you a good deal on the part. Many folks here online have mixed feelings about Wyckoff. All my dealings with them have been good. I purchased a new multi-function switch for my PT for about $40 - $45 after shipping.

I had a similar issue with finding my fogs "on" in the daylight. Then they quit working all together. I thought it was the multi-function switch too, but mine still don't work. My voltmeter indicates nothing at the ports 13 and 14, where the fogs are wired into the harness that is controlled by the MF switch.

Mine will be off to the dealership for a check-up, just to make sure I don't have other electrical issues creeping up. Mine went 4 years with no problems until now.

I hope they find what's ailing your Cruiser. I love the way my car looks and I'm thankful that I get to drive such a cool car, but some days I want to just sell it and get something else.
Old 05 Jun 2008, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also have a 2001 PT and just recently began to have issues with lights coming on without known cause. Today I also found saw smoke coming up from the Hazard light recess on the steering column. I am taking it to the dealer tommorow
Old 05 Jun 2008, 10:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A bad multifunction switch has started a fire.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic