Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cat-back vs. Cold air filter intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2007, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cat-back vs. Cold air filter intake

i was wondering what anyone thought would be a better upgrade.

right now i just have a stock exhaust system and a bigger intake filter.

what would be better for gain, sound, and gas mileage.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cat-back vs. Cold air filter intake

Airaid air filter!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Jul 2007, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you already have a bigger intake, then go for a free flow exhaust system to compliment the improvement in incoming air.
Old 08 Jul 2007, 10:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Smile Re: Cat-back vs. Cold air filter intake

I agree with Crewzin
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 08:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Go with the exhaust. I have a Borla dual exhaust cat back system on my GT. Not too noisey and will give you a few more HP. I also have a K & N filter as well.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went with a Borla system and if you ever want baffles, you have to order them directly from Borla, and they're permanent. I believe Bassani has removeable baffles. I wish I'd waited and spent the extra couple bucks on a Bassani system.

Plus, I did the cat-back and I wish I'd done a simple axel-back. The stock muffler has a single piece of mandrel-bent (correct term, yes?) steel that runs from the cat back around the spare-tire. The borla system comes in 3 pieces and mine, although tight, has a bit of moisture/ condensate that runs out from the middle connection - especially when the humidity has been high in TX and the nights start to cool down.

Also, if you ever want the Borla baffles (called "venturies" - and I don't know why) Borla wants proof that you bought one of their systems from an "authorized" reseller. I bought through Ebay about 4 years ago when the dealerships were trying to unload all these PT Cruiser accessories online since folks weren't buying them in the showroom or from the "stealerships" as after-market upgrades.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some thoughts on exhaust...
A dual is just for added looks - a free-flow single exhaust is every bit as good as duals - and a single is cheaper.
I like BTG - it is really flow-thru.
Be sure to go to a PT meet or PT Club and listen to an exhaust before you buy - music to one person is noise to another.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Aug 2007, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Black_Sunshine98

but remember you go too big,you lose HP and get worse MPG.....n/a works on back pressure..so unless your suckin some serious air dont go to "free flow" on the exhaust

just my .02