Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
steering problem-- Michael Day!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2003, 12:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default steering problem-- Michael Day!!!

I just starting getting a strange noise from the steering wheel this week.

It happens after the car warms up a bit. I notice that the wheel gets a bet heavier when I attempt to turn and I get a strange noise like a rubber belt rubbing back and fourth as I turn.

I took it to the dealership this morning and the claim it is a defect in the rack and pinion and it will have to be replaced...

What am I looking at here as far as the process? It is under warranty so that isn't a big deal but what is involved in swapping out these parts?

I did a quick search of past topics and it looks like Michael Day had the same problem. If he is still here maybe he can post something??

I have never had to have this down before so I am trying to find out all I can...I am just a little protective when it comes to my baby!!!

Thanks all
Old 28 Jun 2003, 03:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

nbr10,
Welcome to the wonderful world of rack and pinion replacement. They had to order the parts and when they came in, I had to leave my car all day. They replaced the rack and pinion in the morning and took it to another location to have the front end aligned. The replacement solved the rubber belt rubbing noise and loosened up the steering again. Only problem I had was a new squeak in the front left spring when I would go over speed bumps after the replacement. Took over a thousand miles before the squeak went away. I suspect that the front suspension didn't get seated properly during the reassembly.

My job was more complex (and cost me $225) because I have RoadMaster tow brackets on the front of my GT so I can tow it behind my motorhome. The dealer had to remove the tow brackets to remove the rack and pinion and them reinstall them.

I did alert my dealer in advance that if the steering wheel wasn't straight after the alignment they would get it back for a redo. They did a good job of aligning it but I wish I hadn't had to have the rack and pinion replaced thus necessitating the realignment in the first place.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 03:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

[B)]I had the same problem with my 01. It came up only after having it for 2 months. The dealer takes out the whole stearing column and all the "stuff" that is attached to it. They had it done in 2 days. We have ~27,000 miles on ours now without a hint of the same problem. Very happy with our dealer out here in MN so that helps. Good luck. I have tons of rules when riding in the PT so I can understand your concern.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 12:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. I wish I could tell you that it made me feel better but...

I really don't have the utmost confidence in my dealer. They are a 5 star dealer and their body shop is the best but their service department seems to be a mixed bag. I have heard rave reviews and horror stories. Guess I will have to hold my breath and see.

Also I have noticed the problem seems to be worsening. The power steering is squealing now whenever the engine is running even if it is just sitting in park and i am not turning the weels.

Is there a chance that it is only the pump that is the problem?? Or is the rack and pinion still the best suspect? Thanks for the input all

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 12:05 am
Cool Cruiser

My ***** dealer put ATF in the PS pump and the squealing/grinding (?!) went away.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I never had mine make noise unless I turned the wheel. You could have a power steering pump problem. My dealer tried a special lubricant for the rack and pinion and it made no difference at all.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

The parts are supposed to arrive on Wednesday and it will go in first thing thursday. I think I'll ask a few more questions before I hand over the keys. I still suspect that the pump is really the only problem although fluid might be suspect as well. The pump is noisy all the time now but the heavy rubbing feeling only comes after the car is driven for a bit.

I'll post updates as I learn more...

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My power steering pump went out altogether without warning while driveing and turning a corner. Almost didn't make it thru the corner without hitting the center island. I had about 40,000 miles and it nener made a sound before it went out. I was told by the dealer that there was a national back-order for the pumps but they found one in stock at another dealer further south so I was back on the road in about 3 days. Only bad point about my 5 star dealer is that on the way up to Maryland where I am now, I lost all the R134 from the air-conditioning on the trip up here. Found out that the two nuts that secure the high and low pressure lines on top of the engine next to the power steering fluid container were only hand tightened and worked their way loose to let the R134 escape. The lines had to me moved when they worked on the steering pump. Tightened them up and refilled the system and so far it's running ok. A $50.00 repair that I can't really prove it was the dealers fault.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 01:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Going up next week for the power steering! Already had the hose come off and all the fluid drain out, like Crewzin, almost didn't make my turn!!! It now has the same symptoms as yours, NBR10! It feels heavy and then comes back and then feels heavy again.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well at least the common thread here seems that in the end the problem got solved. That makes me feel better. I spent 4 years chasing "Gremlins" in my last car. Not to anxious to start with my GT.....

--------
2003 Silver GT