Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2002, 02:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Performance upgrade

Does any one have an opinion about the Ken Belle Optimiser II. Does this void the warranty? Are the advertised improvements bogus? For the price it seems very reasonable in conjunction with an improved air intake system to improve basic PT performance.

Old 20 Jan 2002, 05:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

My dealer in Salem, Oregon told me that any performance enhancing done to the Cruiser will void the waranty. I have installed a FIPK, but when I take my Cruiser in for service I put the ugly, performance dehancing stock air filter and box back on. Takes about 10 minutes to switch over.

Quicksilver Tom
2001 Bright Silver Metallic, 28 F Package Plus, FIPK

Old 20 Jan 2002, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with your dealer, Maddog. First, a lot of performance equipment for sale of the better sites have passed the CARB standards so they will not interfere with any U.S. standard emissions and they should state that fact right on the item itself or on the packaging. If they pass that test, there's no way any dealer could prove that what you have added has done harm to the power train of the PT. Second, most of the add-on equipment is of the passive type like the cold air intake systems or cat-back exhaust. Saying that, if this Belle Optimiser that Steve is looking at activly changes the compter settings, that would be another story. There's a lot of performance enhancing parts/equipment out there for the PT and if your PT would ever have to go back for warranty work, the dealer/Chrysler would have to find a connection between what you changed and the problem your having. Example: I put a filter package on my Saturn. The chrome air intake tube was leaning very slightly on the upper radiator hose and the hose rubbed on the edge of the battery box but only when the engine was under power. When it was stopped there was a tiny gap between the hose and tube. When the hose sprung a leak, the dealer found the problem and since I installed the air-intake package, I paid for the new hose plus labor. I fixed the problem, and other warranty work was carried out with the intake package still on the car.

CREWZIN
Old 21 Jan 2002, 02:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah Crewzin, I disagree with my dealer, too and I think it is a bunch of puppy poo. The only reason I switch back to the stock air filter dehancement is I figure if I needed waranty work he could hold things up and cause me problems as far as time getting the waranty work done. The dealer can't tell me that a few extra horses are going to cause my engine a problem. It's a crock.

Maddog

Quicksilver Tom
2001 Bright Silver Metallic, 28F Package Plus, FIPK