Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas Gauge Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2007, 10:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Gas Gauge Issues

My gas gauge is being very weird lately. I always fill the tank and the first time I had problems the gauge needle stopped at 3/4 full. Now today with another fill up, it stopped at 1/2 full. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01 Aug 2007, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas Gauge Issues

Yes, a few owners including myself have had problems filling up the tank. I find that different stations and different pumps at the same station allows me to get it all the way filled.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

when the pump stops have you tried putting more fuel in ?? i had it happen and it seemed as the pump was shutting off before it was full just a thought
Old 02 Aug 2007, 06:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I normally "overfill" my tank and have never had that problem. I wonder if your tank sender is at fault?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Dec 2007, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,
i Just purchased a used base model 2005 PT Cruiser with less than 30,000 mi. on it. I also have noticed problems with the Fuel gage giving off in accurate readings.
I've filled the gas to over flow on several occations, and I'm still getting a 3/4 full reading on the fuel gage. Fuel gage will read 1/4 full, I'll go to fill it up, and car will only take 7 to 8 gallons to fill up. far below it's suppossed 15 gallon capacity.
I have found that this problem was had on the 2001 PT models,and that "a countrmeasure fuel pump module is available to correct this problem" on the consumer guide automotive website. I'm going to take my PT to the Chrysler Dealer and find out about this,and see if it remedies the fuel gage inaccuracies, I will follow up this post .to let you all know the out come!
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

The TSB on the 01 was to replace the fuel level sender unit and to index it to the marks on the tank. apparently the level senders were made wrong. this is supposed to be remedied on all subsequent years. sounds like a bad sender or maybe a leaky float seeing as it registered 3/4, then next time 1/2. the floats just taking on more liquid and getting heavier. might be worth looking into.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Cartman!
I'll take it in to see what's going on with that darn fuel gauge,It's hard to tell exactly how much gas is in the tank!