Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CHANGING SPARK PLUGS & WIRES??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2007, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default CHANGING SPARK PLUGS & WIRES??

I Know Ive seen it here before but I need to change my plugs & wires on a non- turbo so I need instructions & best kind to get,,,,I live near a Pep BOYS & Napa auto suggestions? Thanks MJB
Old 01 Aug 2007, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS & WIRES??

A search would have brought up all your answers, but here they are again...

Here's the Imagestation link to the procedures. Depending on the year you will/won't have the EGR pipe in the back of the upper manifold.

Album: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS ON A PT CRUISER - SIMPLIFIED

Plugs and wires. Lots of them out there. A lot of us went with Champion Double Pltinum plugs #7570 and Crane wires from www.RaceandStreet.com

Gap whatever plug you buy at .040in and use anti-seize on the plug threads. Also use some Dielectric grease on the wire ends.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 07:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS & WIRES??

Can you tell me what they dielectric grease is for on the wires? Does it just lubricate ends or work as a conductor?
Old 01 Aug 2007, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMS CRUZER View Post
Can you tell me what they dielectric grease is for on the wires? Does it just lubricate ends or work as a conductor?
The primary purposes of the grease is to keep out moisture, and prevent corrosion. Prevention of corrosion keeps the metal-to-metal contact point in a connector conducting electricity.
Old 02 Aug 2007, 05:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Ive determined that I have a miss in cylinder #3 with aid of mechanic...I went to dealer to ask him why I couldnt get #1 plug out(which is easy usually) its accessable. he laughed dont you know this is a flat rate shop..... we use air tools & never use never sease! I cringed! He stated he get them out no problem!! What am I to do now! This shop to me has been fine! Actually great! Do I trust them? Im confused I do need it fixed though & have a real miss in #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02 Aug 2007, 06:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

mjb, I would be concerned about that shop. The plugs are NOT a hard job for the average person to do. Being that the plugs and manifold bolts have to be torqued, unless you wish to purchase a foot lb and a inch lb torque wrench, I would let another shop to do it. I myself bought one wrench of each and it helped to round out the tools I use. You don't have to pay $60-70 each for them, many auto shops have them for $20-30 even tho they are not made in the US.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Aug 2007, 05:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks ALL: I spoke personally with my mechanic & his buddy was pulling my chain! The donr use a airgun on plugs(eeks) relieved, anyway I bought the champion platinums and had them gapped at .40 & anti seize put on them along with the wire dieletric grease on brand new Mopar wires which were under warranty for another year. I would have bought new ones but they were covered so here we are all running fine! (they werent convinced though on platinums( but did install them at my request) I hope Im ok for awhile now,,any other tips?? MPG I hope will improve becaues he said #1 & #3 were both missfiring!!
Old 21 Oct 2009, 09:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A search would have brought up all your answers, but here they are again...

Here's the Imagestation link to the procedures. Depending on the year you will/won't have the EGR pipe in the back of the upper manifold.

Album: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS ON A PT CRUISER - SIMPLIFIED

Plugs and wires. Lots of them out there. A lot of us went with Champion Double Pltinum plugs #7570 and Crane wires from www.RaceandStreet.com

Gap whatever plug you buy at .040in and use anti-seize on the plug threads. Also use some Dielectric grease on the wire ends.
The image links does not exist anymore. Is there another place for the spark plug replacement?
thaks
Old 21 Oct 2009, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

bout all i can say is I changed my plugs and wires a few weeks ago (right at 80,000 on car) it did help the little miss but nothing at all on mileage so i still get right at 23 and that is 95% highway i will agree that i run kinda fast and if i were to slow down it would improve but you know i have grown to just accept it and drive on
Old 21 Oct 2009, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you look on the top of the Tech & Performance section of this forum (Spark Plug Guide) you should find a sticky that shows you how to change plugs and wires and a lot of other good information.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Oct 2009 at 03:01 pm.