Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Steering Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2007, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Steering Noise

I have an 2002 PT when I crank the wheel over I get a loud popping noise. This really only occurs when the wheel is cranked all the way over to the left or the right. One thing to note is that if I grab the inner tie rod I can shake it and get a clanking noise. I would replace the inner tie rods but I don't think that is the problem. I need some suggestions. The last thing that I will say that maybe of some assistance is that when I am driving at any real highway speed I will get some significant wheel shaking. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steering Noise

i would have the whole front end looked at
Old 06 Aug 2007, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you have all kinds of front end problems...too many to diagnose here. Tie rod ends shouldn't have a clanking noise, steering shouldn't pop and and the wheels shouldn't shake at any speed.

Did you buy the PT used? Sounds like it could have some front end damage. Best to have a professional check it out. Most good places will check it out free in hope of selling you the parts. You don't have to buy, but them again, yo don't want it to break when your on the highway.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the PT brand new. It has been in no accidents. I have no idea what is going on with it. I am going to take a look at the bushings and remove the entire front end suspension to see what I can uncover. If you have any more suggestions as in to what the problem may be it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, if the steering noise is more of a clicking sound than a popping sound, Chrysler sent three (3) TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) out on it. TSB # 1900304, 1900402, 1900601. All of them deal in clicking noises coming from the steering.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for that information. Are TSB's similar to recalls or does the dealer not cover them. What exactly do the TSB's tell me? Thanks again.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nope, not a recall. It's a Technical Service Bulletin for the dealer on how to go about fixing a known problem. I'm not sure, but I think you still have to pay for the "fix" if your not still under warranty.

Old 07 Aug 2007, 06:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK. That sucks. The car is definitely not under the Chrysler 2 mile warranty. This means that all the repairs I get done are going to cost a bundle. I think what I will do is when my car goes in for inspection this month, I will have the technician look to see if he sees any warn suspension or steering parts. From there I will replace those and see how the car runs.
Old 07 Aug 2007, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Old 30 Oct 2009, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well the popping sound isn't a good thing, trust me, seeing I found out the hard way, my outer tie rod end popped apart while I was driving. The guy I just spoke to at the alignment shop says hes seen it many times on both the cruisers and the neons (guess what the cruisers based on lol)
The aftermarket tie rod ends are far superior to the stock ones, I would have someone take a look at it asap, as anyone that has ever had a tie rod go would probably agree, needless to say I had to change me shorts after the front driver side wheel decided to go in the opposite direction.

Last edited by tzmndvl; 30 Oct 2009 at 09:26 pm.