Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'02 Cruiser with lots of problems :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2007, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation '02 Cruiser with lots of problems :(

I' having loads of problems with my PT and I figured this would be the place to start. I figured I could have searched for the information but it is far too complicated for me. I have had my PT for a few years now. I have an 2002 Automatic base PT Cruiser with 68,000 miles. I got it for graduating high school back in 2004. I have had lots of problems with it over the last year or so.

~The gas mileage is about 13mpg. I do not jack rabbit or slam on my brakes. I get on the highway to get to work, and cruise at about 75mph. My car is mainly used on the highway. I tag along with my fiance to do my around town errands. It is pathetic that his 350z gets twice the gas mileage that I do.

~My car idles very rough. The car actually shakes.

~It is very loud. Loud squeaking noises from the front. You can even hear it when you are in the car.

~My brakes squeal the most horrendous noise. Even when they are new brakes.

What should I do about all of these problems? Keep in mind that cash is very tight. I don't know a whole lot about cars. My brother is a mechanic, but he is currently hospitalized. So he can't help. I am in just dire need to fix this car up. I don't want it to kick the bucket while I am this strapped for cash.

THANKS
Old 07 Aug 2007, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '02 Cruiser with lots of problems :(

Welcome to the forum. Sure sounds like your PT has been neglected over the years, by just driving it and doing any preventative maintenance.

~My car idles very rough. The car actually shakes.

Time for a change of the spark plugs and wires. if you have to pay someone, figure $150 (parts and labor)

~It is very loud. Loud squeaking noises from the front. You can even hear it when you are in the car.

Get it up on a rack. Have someone pull down on the front bumper and isolate the noise. Probably all the bushings are dried out. (cheap, lubrication spray)

~My brakes squeal the most horrendous noise. Even when they are new brakes.

Who put them on? Take them back and complain. If you have drums on the rear wheels, accumulated brake dust inside the drum will cause a loud squeel. If the noise is from the front, the pads have a sensor that rubs the rotor when the pads are low. Make sure whoever put in the new pads did it right and make sure the anti-rattle clips were put back on correctly.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Aug 2007 at 01:24 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2007, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What plugs would you recommend? How much do just the plugs and wires cost?

I was also thinking about switching to synthetic oil as well. Will this help anything?

The squeeking sounds as if it is a fan belt or timing belt. Are those easily tightened?
Old 07 Aug 2007, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What plugs would you recommend? How much do just the plugs and wires cost?

Loads of options on the plugs. A bunch of went for the Champion Double Platinum #7570. More expensive (about $7 each) but last a long time. Normal plugs will run about $2 each. Decent wires will run about $40-60. Most of us use www.RaceandStreet.com for parts.

I was also thinking about switching to synthetic oil as well. Will this help anything?

If your strapped for money, Synthetic oil will cost 2 to 3 times the amount of regular Dino oil, but you can go further between oil changes. Synthetic oil should also help in gas mileage by 1-2 miles per gallon.

The squeeking sounds as if it is a fan belt or timing belt. Are those easily tightened?

Timing belts don't squeek, they slip and you'd notice a big drop in performance and driving capabilities. There is no fan belt. Fan is electronically controlled. The other belts consists of a small belt for the alternator and a drive belt for everything else. The drive belt has it's own tensioner, no adjustments. Belts aren't easy to get too and even from underneath the car you can only see a couple inches of the belt. Inside passenger wheel well cover needs to come off for access to the belts. Wait till your brother gets out of the hospital.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Aug 2007 at 01:47 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2007, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome and i believe crewzin has covered all points