PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Gurgling sound under hood.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2007, 10:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Gurgling sound under hood.....

I finally got my Pt back from the dealer after three weeks d/t overheating. I have been driving it for about two weeks without any problems. Tonight after returning from a hour drive, I parked and heard the gurgling sound under the hood. On the way to Indiana when I parked I did not hear the "gurgling". It was too dark to get a good look at it.The temp guage was right in the middle. The previous repairs done the end of July early Aug were first new fan, then a thermostat and radiator, last trip was a water pump and heater core. Could there be air in the line? If so why am I just now hearing the gurgling? I was so hoping my car was back to normal.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 01:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Gurgling sound under hood.....

Sounds like maybe you have air in the cooling system.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Aug 2007, 08:20 am
Young Cruiser

Red face Re: Gurgling sound under hood.....

What is the process to get the air out of the system? Can I get the coolant PT's require or do I HAVE to go to the dreaded dealership again
Thanks for any info....
Old 20 Aug 2007, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gurgling sound under hood.....

Kim,

The red coolant that Chrysler uses IS special, but you can buy a gallon plastic container of red coolant that will mix with it. Ask at the auto store (a good store like NAPA) about coolant that will mix.

To bleed the air from the PT system: (from Haynes Repair manual)

Attach a length of tubing to the coolant bleed valve, directing the end of the tubing into a container, then loosen the bleed valve.

Remove the coolant system pressure cap. Add the required mixture of new coolant through the filler neck until it reaches the pressure cap seat and a steady bubble-free stream of coolant flows from the bleed valve bolt. Tighten the bleed valve securely.

Add the same coolant mixture to the overflow reservoir until the level is between the FULL HOT and ADD marks.

Install the pressure cap and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached, then allow the engine to cool. With the engine cold, add coolant as necessary to bring it up to the correct level.

Keep a close watch on the coolant level and the various cooling system hoses during the first few miles of driving and check for any coolant leaks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com