Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help asap...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2007, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help asap...

We have a 2004 Pt non turbo. I have been dealing with rough idle problems for a while now. I have changed the plugs and wires and the problem goes away and comes back a month or two later. Tried changing the plugs alone and the same thing, good for a month and back to the rough idle. Now my girlfriend was driving it and called me saying that the oil light flashed on and beeped. I had her check the codes and P0325 came on. The idle got really bad and stalled twice at idle. She parked the car and when she got in it later it was gone but still idled bad, worse than normal. Then she said half way to where she was going the oil light came back. Also she check the oil and its good. No noises heard either. Any ideas?
Old 04 Sep 2007, 06:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Need help asap...

According to my list,
Code P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).

Not sure what you need to do. hopefully, someone will get back to you.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2003 exact same thing started today.
If you have found the problem let me know.
Last month I had 325 and 340 codes. I had both sensors changed and the computer flashed and now this.
Great just what I needed.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0325 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction
What does that mean?

A knock sensor tells the engine computer when one or more of your engine's cylinders are "knocking", that is, exploding the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can be damaging to the engine if prolonged. The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine. The knock sensor generally threads into the engine block. This P0325 code may show up intermittently or the Service Engine light may be lit constantly.
Symptoms

You may notice drivability problems including a lack of power and perhaps some hesitation. There may also be other symptoms.
Causes

A code P0325 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

* The knock sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
* There is a wiring short/fault in the knock sensor circuit

Possible Solutions

* Check the resistance of the knock sensor (compare it to factory specs)
* Check for broken/frayed wires leading to the sensor
* Replace the knock sensor
===================================

P0340 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical Description

Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
What does that mean?

This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.
Symptoms

Symptoms can include:

* Hard starting or no start
* Rough running / misfiring
* Loss of engine power

Causes

A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

* a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
* the camshaft position sensor may have failed
* the PCM may have failed
* there exists an open circuit
* the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
* Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
* Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
* Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
* Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
* Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
* Diagnose/replace the PCM as required
Old 13 Oct 2007, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The car was into one dealer had it put on the diagnostic test and they went right through the wiring and said nothing was wrong they replaced the 2 sensors and could not get the error to stay cleared. It ran like a peice of garbage bucking and everything. They said the computer had to be reflashed as it is giving false error codes and the one they had was broken so to take it to the other dealer down the road. I drove straight there (5 min) and they said they had to do there own diagnostic test. They again said they could do nothing without changing the crank and camshaft position sensors. So they did,now this is both sensors changed twice and both times if I didn't change them they would not service the car because until they changed the sensors they would consider the sensors the problem. Now that's 4 sensors in 1 hour ($700) then they reflashed the computer. Needless to say I was going nuts with them. The sensors and flashing are the only things not covered under warranty...of course. They reflashed the computer and everything was fine for almost 2 months. Now today the car runs perfect but suddenly the oil light came on and wouldn't you know it the code 325 again. The sensor is not our problem, I can definitely rule that one out, the wiring a gargage just went through so that is not the problem, the oil level is perfect. There's something else going on here.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The 2 happiest days of a PT Cruiser owners life.

First is the day he buys it
Second is the day he sells it