PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I've taken my PT to three different mechanics and no luck with...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2007, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I've taken my PT to three different mechanics and no luck with...

A few months I bought a used PT. Within a few weeks the timing belt snapped which caused a little explosion in my engine. After about $3000 of various repairs, there is a new problem that three different mechanics (including Chrysler) can't figure out.

The car stalls after about a half hour of city driving. This only happens when I stop and it usually starts back up but sometimes the car gets pretty stubborn. Actually once it did happen while I was driving and it took forever to start up but that only happened once.

Nothing shows up on a diagnosis...

Can somebody please help me out- thank you very much
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I've taken my PT to three different mechanics and no luck with...

Do you know for sure they replace the wires and plugs when they repaired your engine?
The stock wires are crap, and often take the plugs with them. If you don't know for sure, throw good wires in - the Champ plugs are okay - gap at 0.040. Get Crane wires at www.RaceAndStreet.com.
No guarantee that's the problem, but could be, and it isn't expensive and should be done anyway.
Bad wires don't always throw codes. Unusual you don't get a code when engine dies...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2007, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had that exact same problem, but it was a VW Bug. After everything warmed up, it had a tendency to stall and sometimes not want to start up. Turned out to be a fuel line problem routed to close to hot engine parts; caused bubbles (air pockets) which caused the stalling. Not saying that's your problem, but apparently something was done when they tore down your engine and it only happen when it's hot.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

soundslike vapor lock which is what crewzin is talking about
Old 14 Sep 2007, 07:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Reminds me a couple of years ago had a Ford station Wagon. The engine woud stop when it had warmed up. Looked under the hood and checked numerous things numerous times. Could find nothing. Then one time it stopped and furious i rushed round to the open hood just in time to see a tiny stream of coolant from a pinhole in the top hose hitting the dizzy...who"d have guessed
Old 14 Sep 2007, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey there, I'm having the exact same problem. Cars stalls after warming up. I've been researching all over the web to no avail. I have replaced the plugs and wires. Car ran better than ever but stalled as soon as it reached normal operating temperature. Can't run the air at all pulls the revs way down. It is behaving as if something is keeping it from raising the RPM when coming to a stop or slowing down with air on. Let's see if I can give a succinct description to what is happening. When driving I noticed after the car warmed up that once I let off the gas, when in traffic or coming to a stop the RPMs would just drop below 1K. I would have to keep my foot on the gass until starting to move again. The idiot lights never come on. Any ideas?

Stalled:
Old 14 Sep 2007, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Stalled,

You problem seems to be more Idle related. You might try looking into the IAC (Idle Air Controller), located and attached to the back of the throttle body. Marked in Yellow in my picture below.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin,

I've ordered the part. We'll keep you updated as to what happens.

Stalled
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:50 am
Regular Cruiser

I would look towards the vapor lock problem that someone already mentioned. It happened to me on two older vehicles. Insulating the fuel line, especially where it was clamped helped me in those situations. I don't know how the fuel line is plumbed on the PT though.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

keep us posted !!