PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C not working well when idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2007, 01:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C not working well when idle

I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice:

My A/C has stopped working well when I am idle. When I am driving, it seems to work fine. It still works, but not very well at all when I am idle.

At first, I thought it might be low on R-134a. But, before I had it recharged, I searched around and found this forum. It seems that a lot of people are having trouble with the radiator fan, and this was affecting their A/C. However, these people also seemed to be having trouble with overheating. I have never overheated, and I drive straight up a hill everyday on the way to work.

Anyway, I decided to try testing this out, so I turned my A/C on and checked under my hood. The radiator fan was not rotating. Am I correct in assuming that this means that the fan is the problem? When I turned my car off I noticed a hissing noise that slowly faded away. Strange.

If I've understood right, the next step would be to see if the fan or the relay were the culprit. Am I on the right track? I don't know my head from my....well you know....when it comes to automobiles, so any help is appreciated!
Old 17 Sep 2007, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C not working well when idle

I don't think you have to go any further to prove your fan has burnt out. It should come on as soon as you turn on the air-conditioning.

You can test the high speed relay (F) by swapping the relays around. The low speed is relay is bigger and if you have the relay marked SPARE (J), you can swap that around with it for a test. They are located in the engine compartment in the oblong box in front of the brake reservoir.

If your not mechanically inclined, a mechanic or worse ...(the dealer) will have to replace the fan for you. You can't buy the fan motor without buying the fan.

Here's diagram of the engine compartment fuse box. It's 180 degrees backwards from how it's under your hood but that's the way Chrysler printed it in the owners manual.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Sep 2007 at 06:57 am.