PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/)
-   Tech & Performance Forum (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/)
-   -   who made the homemade cold airbox intake? (http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/15876-who-made-homemade-cold-airbox-intake.html)

pppt03turbo 19 Sep 2007 03:18 pm

who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

hi all -

a while back, there was a contributor on this site that made his own cold air intake setup. i remember he routed a hose from his gt's open fog light area (rubber flap) and into his airbox. i searched the forums, but could not find the posting.

i was hoping to find out the diameter of the hose he used, how long the hose needs to be, its route, and if there was any cutting or airbox modification involved. many thanks.

CREWZIN 19 Sep 2007 03:34 pm

Re: who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

I'm not the original one, but I did it a couple years ago. I used a length of pool hose from the opening next to the fog light, up the inner fender, into the engine compartment so it feed cold air right to the aftermarket air filter. I don't have it there anymore, didn't like the look of it. See pics below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...tos/air-in.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...os/air-in2.jpg

pppt03turbo 19 Sep 2007 03:45 pm

thanks crewzin. i plan on going up into my stock airbox's inlet pipe. i think this particular air inlet pipe points downward. i did remove the silencer (white collar) from the airbox a while ago. i have some black sump pump hose lying around somewhere. it looks to be the same size as what's in your pic. i'll try it. btw: nice engine compartment.

Johns Steel Blue 20 Sep 2007 11:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pppt03turbo (Post 218976)
hi all -

a while back, there was a contributor on this site that made his own cold air intake setup. i remember he routed a hose from his gt's open fog light area (rubber flap) and into his airbox. i searched the forums, but could not find the posting.

i was hoping to find out the diameter of the hose he used, how long the hose needs to be, its route, and if there was any cutting or airbox modification involved. many thanks.

Here's a link for an Intake for the non-turbo

Make Your Own

pppt03turbo 20 Sep 2007 01:19 pm

thanks john.;)

pppt03turbo 21 Sep 2007 08:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
hi all -

attached is a pic of the air cleaner set up i just installed. it consists of the following items and their cost (at pep boys):

spectre air cleaner #8138 - $24.95
spectre 22 degree elbow #8728 - 11.95

i almost went with a 45 degree elbow, but i'm glad i didn't. there is a cluster of connections and bolts i would have had to contend with if i went with the sharper 45 degree angle elbow.

i think it looks pretty cool. it sounds really cool.

the oil breather hose still needs a foam filter. there is an old style (inside the air cleaner) 1" x 3" gm breather i'm going to try. i think they're $3.

Hooligan 22 Sep 2007 10:05 am

That's a good looking setup.:D

freckles 25 Oct 2007 08:51 am

I made a cold air system for my new 07 PCH , when I went in for service the zone rep and service manager told me to remove it, they said it would void the warranty. ??? I told them that they sell them in their performance catalog
so what is the problem, are you ready for this (it had to be the products that they sell):mad:

Mean Green 25 Oct 2007 01:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckles (Post 220461)
I made a cold air system for my new 07 PCH , when I went in for service the zone rep and service manager told me to remove it, they said it would void the warranty. ??? I told them that they sell them in their performance catalog
so what is the problem, are you ready for this (it had to be the products that they sell):mad:

They are idiots. Get a different dealer. I did.

randycooley1980 01 Sep 2016 06:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pppt03turbo (Post 219036)
hi all -

attached is a pic of the air cleaner set up i just installed. it consists of the following items and their cost (at pep boys):

spectre air cleaner #8138 - $24.95
spectre 22 degree elbow #8728 - 11.95

i almost went with a 45 degree elbow, but i'm glad i didn't. there is a cluster of connections and bolts i would have had to contend with if i went with the sharper 45 degree angle elbow.

i think it looks pretty cool. it sounds really cool.

the oil breather hose still needs a foam filter. there is an old style (inside the air cleaner) 1" x 3" gm breather i'm going to try. i think they're $3.

does that sit right on top of your battery? did you use a strap? i have a 2007 pt n/a but i want to build a cold air for it.