PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2007, 03:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

hi all -

a while back, there was a contributor on this site that made his own cold air intake setup. i remember he routed a hose from his gt's open fog light area (rubber flap) and into his airbox. i searched the forums, but could not find the posting.

i was hoping to find out the diameter of the hose he used, how long the hose needs to be, its route, and if there was any cutting or airbox modification involved. many thanks.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.

Last edited by pppt03turbo; 19 Sep 2007 at 05:53 pm.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

I'm not the original one, but I did it a couple years ago. I used a length of pool hose from the opening next to the fog light, up the inner fender, into the engine compartment so it feed cold air right to the aftermarket air filter. I don't have it there anymore, didn't like the look of it. See pics below.

Old 19 Sep 2007, 03:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks crewzin. i plan on going up into my stock airbox's inlet pipe. i think this particular air inlet pipe points downward. i did remove the silencer (white collar) from the airbox a while ago. i have some black sump pump hose lying around somewhere. it looks to be the same size as what's in your pic. i'll try it. btw: nice engine compartment.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppt03turbo View Post
hi all -

a while back, there was a contributor on this site that made his own cold air intake setup. i remember he routed a hose from his gt's open fog light area (rubber flap) and into his airbox. i searched the forums, but could not find the posting.

i was hoping to find out the diameter of the hose he used, how long the hose needs to be, its route, and if there was any cutting or airbox modification involved. many thanks.
Here's a link for an Intake for the non-turbo

Make Your Own

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 20 Sep 2007, 01:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks john.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 08:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

hi all -

attached is a pic of the air cleaner set up i just installed. it consists of the following items and their cost (at pep boys):

spectre air cleaner #8138 - $24.95
spectre 22 degree elbow #8728 - 11.95

i almost went with a 45 degree elbow, but i'm glad i didn't. there is a cluster of connections and bolts i would have had to contend with if i went with the sharper 45 degree angle elbow.

i think it looks pretty cool. it sounds really cool.

the oil breather hose still needs a foam filter. there is an old style (inside the air cleaner) 1" x 3" gm breather i'm going to try. i think they're $3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_cleaner_pt.JPG (63.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 22 Sep 2007, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a good looking setup.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Oct 2007, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: who made the homemade cold airbox intake?

I made a cold air system for my new 07 PCH , when I went in for service the zone rep and service manager told me to remove it, they said it would void the warranty. ??? I told them that they sell them in their performance catalog
so what is the problem, are you ready for this (it had to be the products that they sell)
Old 25 Oct 2007, 01:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles View Post
I made a cold air system for my new 07 PCH , when I went in for service the zone rep and service manager told me to remove it, they said it would void the warranty. ??? I told them that they sell them in their performance catalog
so what is the problem, are you ready for this (it had to be the products that they sell)
They are idiots. Get a different dealer. I did.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Sep 2016, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppt03turbo View Post
hi all -

attached is a pic of the air cleaner set up i just installed. it consists of the following items and their cost (at pep boys):

spectre air cleaner #8138 - $24.95
spectre 22 degree elbow #8728 - 11.95

i almost went with a 45 degree elbow, but i'm glad i didn't. there is a cluster of connections and bolts i would have had to contend with if i went with the sharper 45 degree angle elbow.

i think it looks pretty cool. it sounds really cool.

the oil breather hose still needs a foam filter. there is an old style (inside the air cleaner) 1" x 3" gm breather i'm going to try. i think they're $3.
does that sit right on top of your battery? did you use a strap? i have a 2007 pt n/a but i want to build a cold air for it.