PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Duals? Which one should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2007, 03:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt
Default Duals? Which one should I get?

I am considering an upgrade to a better exaust system for the cruiser. Personally, I want something loud, with a deep throuty sound to it. I was thinking of borla duals, but I wanted to consult you all before I make any moves.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 07:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Duals? Which one should I get?

On my '02, I had Bassani duals. Then I read up on BTG, and got them for my '05.
Most duals dump all the exhaust into muffler, then pipe some back over to passenger side - the BTG has a "Y" pipe that splits the exhaust evenly and has resonators, not a muffler. You can hold the pipes up and look thru them.
The best part is the sound - Deep and throaty, and when you take your foot off the gas, it "burbles".
I suggest you go to a PT meet or conatct somene near you with whatever exhaust you're considering and listen to it first hand. I love mine, but music to me can be noise to someone else.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Sep 2007, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the "Quiet" dual system from Borla (bought frim Revel Enterprises). It has MOPAR and the Mopar logo embossed on the muffler, so I think it's probably listed as a MOPAR performance part too.
I had a cheaper Hearthrob single system on it for a long time (from JC Whitney), but it rusted in two before last winter. The Borla system is quieter until you get above 3500 rpm them it wakes right up and sounds very meaty. Perfect for a street cruiser (to me anyway). I'm very happy with it.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 12:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Basically when I said I wanted something LOUD, I want a system that I can toss on and it will make people who have to sit in my back seat cringe.
Old 03 May 2008, 08:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Which one is stainless steel?
Old 04 May 2008, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Borla system is all stainless. Very good quality. I still like the fact that it's fairly quiet until you step on it.....
Old 04 May 2008, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teahead View Post
Which one is stainless steel?
Bassani, Borla, and BTG are all stainless steel.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 May 2008, 12:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I don't know how loud you can get the exhaust on the PT. I have the Heart Throb duals on mine, and they're not loud at all. They have resonators that are straight through, one under the car, one on each tip. If you sit in the back seat it's boomy but you can still have a conversation. Listening to the car as it drives by it's very quiet. I believe the cat is the culprit. I ran the exhaust open out of the cat and it wasn't even very loud. If I ever get the time I'll remove my cat, that should make it WAY louder, and hopefully pick up some mpg too!

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 06 May 2008, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Duals? Which one should I get?

You won't pick up much from removing the cat, except more noise. There's not that much resistance there.
I had the HeartThrob single system before. It wasn't all that loud overall, but there was a resonance between 2500-3000 rpm that correlated to highway speed that was annoying.
The cat outlet is either 2" or 2-1/4". If you just want more noise, run an adapter to a larger pipe (2-1/2" or 3") and run a straight pipe out the back. Don't remover the cat......

Revel Enterprises sells a dual side-pipe system

PT Cruiser Trendsetter Functional Dual Side Exhuast

It flows through a resonator only- no muffler. I haven't heard it, but let us know how it sounds if you decide to try it.

-Win
Old 06 May 2008, 02:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you want a loud exhaust then go with a cutout. That's about as loud as you can get. When you want quiet then close the cutout and ride around with the stock exhaust. Best of both worlds.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic